Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing a course in castleknock

Options
  • 09-10-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a course later in the month in the castleknock area, I'm looking for accommodation and my choice is between the travelodge in castleknock or a hostel in Dublin. I usually stay in hostels where ever I go. The thought of staying in another dull travelodge doesn't really appeal to me but neither does dealing with Dublin traffic. What would the traffic be like coming out of Dublin from fleet street (on the N4) be like at 8am on a Wednesday morning? I'd only be going as far as the M50 It looks like a short but maybe would take ages with traffic but I'm assuming traffic at that hour will be going in the other direction.

Or what's Castleknock like?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Depends on where you are going in Castleknock. Is it in castleknock village, or the surrounding areas?
    The travelodge is on the outskirts of that area so getting to a course will mean driving/bus anyway.

As for traffic, its particularly bad at the moment as the roads around there are being dug up, temporary lanes, etc, so being at the travelodge will give you a bit of an edge compared to coming all the way up the Navan Road from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The course is on in the Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, Porterstown Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thats a fair distance from even the travel lodge and it's not on a bus route.

http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm

To: PORTERSTOWN ROAD, CASTLEKNOCK, DUBLIN
    Distance: 4.598 km Time: 54 minutes

Map_2788081_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Would it be possibe to get a short term room rent in Carpenterstown ?

I should say, it's a two day course and I'll be driving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Sure stay in the country club and save yourself the hassle of driving, hang the expense! The recession is all in our heads anyway......

The problem I have with staying at either the country club or the travellodge is they're probably very dull and have no craic in them. But it's just as expensive to get a single room in a hostel in town as it is for a room in the country club.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What about the Clarion Hotel beside the shopping centre? It's a bit closer to the Castleknock Hotel than the Travel Lodge. Not sure if it would be any more craic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Zaph wrote: »
    What about the Clarion Hotel beside the shopping centre? It's a bit closer to the Castleknock Hotel than the Travel Lodge. Not sure if it would be any more craic though.

Is this not a Crowna Plaza?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Enii wrote: »
    Is this not a Crowna Plaza?

Apologies, you are of course correct.

• Advertisement

Or stay in the Country Club and get the free taxi service to The Strawberry Hall pub only 5 minutes away (cal the pub and they'll pick you up & drop you back for free). Music most nights, and friendly regulars in there every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

Whens the course..i might be able to help

Careful now........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem I have with staying at either the country club or the travellodge is they're probably very dull and have no craic in them.
    It's only 2 nights.

Booked into the Travelodge it's only 4km away but I'll have to drive through castle knock to get from one to the other. 30 minutes be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

ScumLord wrote: »
    Booked into the Travelodge it's only 4km away but I'll have to drive through castle knock to get from one to the other. 30 minutes be enough?

This place is on the border between Caslteknock and Blanchardstown

http://www.twelfthlock.com/

Yeah, 30 minutes should be more than enough.

Stayed in the travelodge, the roundabout outside it must be one pf the busiest in Dublin, avoid castleknock travelodge at all costs, it was a nightmare trying to get out of the place. I honestly pity ye dubs at this stage, the traffic is unbearable. I'd rather live in a field eating grass than put up with that on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

We don't have that many fields any more Scumlord, they keep building Travelodges on them.

Advertisement