Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax

Options
  • 09-10-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Is there anyone in here, that knows someone or from there own experience has been through a situation where taxes owed couldnt be paid by the person, and what was the out come when they went to court

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

friend of mine was in this situation,he wrote and told them he had no money,he got a letter 1 month later to say the sheriff was coming to take goods from his home 2 the value of his debt,sheriff arrived ,and he had 2 borrow 2 stop his belongings been taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 speakswan

There is not a lot of info in your post but my advice is to meet with the Revenue, talk to them about your circumstance e.g. unemployed, bankrupt etc and try to work some thing out. The important thing is to talk with them, get your returns up to date and try and agreed some form of repayment plan.

Worse case scenario is prosecution

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/prosecutions/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mwalsh7

I agree with speakswan the worst thing you can do is put your head in the sand. From experience Revenue are willing to enter installment arrangements if you can afford it going forward. If you can't pay at all discuss it with them they may be will to write it off. If you are a company you could liquidate but would need more info. You should defo discuss the matter with an accountant maybe get them to deal with Revenue on your behalf. going to court is the last option as the Sheriff will get items from you and sell them on to make up most of the money.

Advertisement