Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google analytics and Statcounter on one site. Good Idea?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Go with both. Statcounter can provide data the would otherwise require a complicated filter in GA.

Also, Statcounter is in real time (almost) so is great for finding immediate negative keywords when running a broad match PPC campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Yes, having both snippets will increase your page load time but GA and SC are well established services and the extra load time is negligible (think miliseconds). I wouldn't worry about it at all.

You'll more than make up for the extra load time by optimizing an image or two if it's a problem for you.

No worries. You shouldn't see any noticeable difference. Anyway, good luck with your site!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Condi wrote: »

It shouldn't make any noticable difference on the time it takes the page to load, put the code for both as close to the bottom of the page (before the </body> tag) as possible. Don't expect the data from both to match. I only use GA as the difference in stats between both can be annoying - you'll be left wondering which to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Having it just before the </body> tag ensures the rest of your page loads before it hits the GA code; that way your page loads regardless of whether the GA server is responding or not.

If you put it on the top of the page and the GA server isn't responding it could prevent the rest of your page loading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

cormee wrote: »
    Having it just before the </body> tag ensures the rest of your page loads before it hits the GA code; that way your page loads regardless of whether the GA server is responding or not.

If you put it on the top of the page and the GA server isn't responding it could prevent the rest of your page loading.

Absolutely right, i came across this a while back for a ecommerce software with which automatically had the GA inside the header. So i moved this just before the </body> tag for the same reason cormee gave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Google has powerful servers so load time is negligible most of the time. StatCounter, at least the free version, isn't as powerful and its script can take a second or two to load, occasionally. I do notice it from time to time.
    Yes, do place both counters in the end of HTML body. You can even use JavaScript to output the tracker JavaScript (e.g., var counter = '<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">_uacct = "UA-XXXXXXXX";urchinTracker();<\/script>';document.write(counter); ) for both. I personally prefer StatCounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

I have had both of them on my site, with no problem what so ever- One good thing about having GA on your site, it helps your site in terms of SEO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It'll help with SEO in that you can use the information it gives you to find information on your site traffic, but just adding it isn't going to boost your search rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

i have noticed one problem with stacounter though. It gives erroneous figures.
    i think it does not calculate session state of viewer. If you refresh page it will consider it a new request.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

leom wrote: »
    i have noticed one problem with stacounter though. It gives erroneous figures.
    i think it does not calculate session state of viewer. If you refresh page it will consider it a new request.

It is a new request indeed. You might be confusing page loads and visits as they are separate and tracked separately in Recent Pageload Activity and Recent Visitor Activity sections, respectively. For me they track sessions correctly.

Advertisement