Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tegral Bretona - Natural Slate

Options
  • 09-10-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,

we are almost ready to choose which slates we want for our roof and have whittled it down to (a pricey!) 2. The Tegral Villar Del Ray and Bretona, both are Spanish slates. Though we are leaning towards the Bretona.

I am aware there are 2 different grades of the Bretona: Prime and Heavy.
    However when getting prices for these guys in builders merchants have told me about a grade called 'Heavy L'. They said it is a thinner slate than the Heavy grade, and they a lot more of it because of the value. (I'm getting quotes 25c less than the prime here).

Has anyone used this slate, or seen it in use?

It looks grand and it all sounds good. Would be great to save a few quid but it seems too good to be true. I'm trying to see if there are any downfalls I am missing here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Make sure you go to see a house with these slates on, I was told of a siimilar cheaper slate but the house didnt look good to me as the variation in thickness across the slate was huge - thick at one end, thin at a corner, middling everywhere else etc.

You might like the rustic look this gives, I didnt.

Samples wont show you what the slates are going to look like on the roof, seeing a completed house is the only way.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Hi,

I was told the Capco Franvisa is the same slate as the Tegral Bretona except it only comes in one grade.

Windyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

franvisa comes in either heavy (8mm) or premium (6mm I think).

I was quoted 2.25 per slate for the heavies (8mm) but they said they could do the premiums for the same price at the time.

I went to see a roof with the franvisa heavies on (PM for details of ther roof if you want to see them on the roof) and it looked really good - a nice colour, nice rough edges on the slate - a very old, natural look.

I can get brazilian 600x300 for 1.37+vat so unless the franvisa price drops I'll be going with the "brazilian brittles"

Anyone with better franvisa prices than 2.25 per slate I'd be interested!

Steve

Advertisement