Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surge protect a whole house

Options
  • 09-10-2009 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I just read the announcement at the top of the page that the search function is down so I haven't been able to perform this usual stage prior to posting.

Basically my wife and I are building a new house and I want to avoid our current situation of eight socket surge protectors at the back of the PC, HIFI, TV and so on. Is it possible to get a surge protector which filters the telephone & electricity supplies in the line at the point where they enter the house, effectively making every standard socket in the house surge protected?

If it is possible what kind of costs would you be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Afro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

See here.

Ask in your local electrical wholesaler also.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Hi Afro,

Below is the link to the irish equivalent that Dotsie posted. http://hager.ie/energy-distribution/protection-devices/1009.htm

A surge protector can be added to your main consumer unit, and wired in such a way to protect all of your circuits. Hagers surge protection devices have the facility to replace the cartridge after a surge is recieved, hence a quick fix and no rewiring. Contact these guys they will be able to help you.

Hope this helps

Aido

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

afaik you need both . local surge protection and at the mains

Advertisement