Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oddities

Options
  • 09-10-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭

Having seen somewhere that the late non PC comedian, Bernard Manning, was of Irish extraction, I was poking around on the 1911 census to see if there were any clues, before finding this unrelated gem.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000137861/

The head of the house at Dartmouth Square (Rathmines & Rathgar East) was a Susan Manning, who along with a visitor, put her religion down as "Militant Suffragette". "Refused" was written above this description, and also the entry "Mother" in the Occupation section.

She must have been a bit of a divil in her day. I wonder what became of her and her family?

There was also a 1 year old in the house who had been named Cristabel, which coincidentally enough was the name of one of the English Suffragettes i.e. Cristabel Pankhurst.

So it would appear that the "Jedis" of modern times aren't being as original with their census religion caper as they thought they were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Having seen somewhere that the late non PC comedian, Bernard Manning, was of Irish extraction,

Wacky to think he was one of Hess & Albert Speers' prison guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Morlar wrote: »
    Wacky to think he was one of Hess & Albert Speers' prison guards.

He must have had the pair of them howling with laughter:eek:

I still don't know whether he had any Irish connections or not. If you could search by religion, it would be easier to find a Jewish Manning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was actually a few suffragettes floating around. They tried a boycott of the census by not being inside for the whole evenings so some went out in cars or on night time picnics!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There was actually a few suffragettes floating around. They tried a boycott of the census by not being inside for the whole evenings so some went out in cars or on night time picnics!

Just thinking how is 'militant suffragette' a religion ? Also does anyone know why they would seek to boycott the census ?

I see that they went around smashing windows in 1912, but whatever else those naughty ladies were involved in seems to have been overshadowed by later events involving the rising etc. I expect some of them got involved in that as well. *Countess Markiewicz was a suffragette, so I suppose she could have known this lady.

* She's nowhere in the census, not even with her Gore-Booth family at Lissadell House, so perhaps she was out on one of the picnics referred to by Pinkypinky, or even out of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Militant suffragette isn't a religion - she was just making a point. They sought to boycott the census as a way to get publicity.

Countess Markiewicz may have been in jail when the census was taken. Her wikipedia article mentions jail in 1911. If this is the case, she'll only be listed by her initials, but someone could still find her by looking at her other data. You can search by initials and narrow down based on age, location, etc.

Once the new website goes live, it'll be easier to find someone like this because you can put in other fields. So you could put in initials, age, occupation, number of children, religion, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Militant suffragette isn't a religion - she was just making a point. They sought to boycott the census as a way to get publicity.

Countess Markiewicz may have been in jail when the census was taken. Her wikipedia article mentions jail in 1911. If this is the case, she'll only be listed by her initials, but someone could still find her by looking at her other data. You can search by initials and narrow down based on age, location, etc.

Once the new website goes live, it'll be easier to find someone like this because you can put in other fields. So you could put in initials, age, occupation, number of children, religion, etc.

I think we all know that.:D

Advertisement