Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Soil Pipes

Options
  • 09-10-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm planning on putting internal soil pipes into my new build and venting through vent slates, I'm not a fan of the external spider effect.

My query is in relation to noise downstairs in the living areas, should I expect to here the waste water draining while I'm watching tv if someone is having a shower in the bathrooms above?

Would I need to double slab the box around the pipe or would this have any effect? Or what is the standard approach?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Usually putting fibreglass insulation around the pipe is more than sufficient to dampen any noise and they are generally not very noisy anyway. Don't see any need to double slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Firstly, before plasterboarding, tightly wrap rockwool insulation into the riser cavity. Rockwool is much denser that glass fibre, and it's the density (weight) that absorbs sound.
    I would then line the stud riser in 18mm wbp ply, taping up the joints, and caulking to the floor/ ceiling.
    Then I would double slab, overlapping joints, and caulk joint the inner slab junctions.
    Might seem like over kill, but it'll stop the sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have this problem. It is not to annoying to hear the water flowing down. Its in the kitchen. There is a good and bad side.

The good side is if someone leaves a tap on you will know. The badside is if an internal over goes on your toilet you will hear the constant run till it gets fixed.

Advertisement