Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suft this weekend?

Options
  • 09-10-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

presume it might be a little on the stormy side this weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Sunday could be nice if the wind dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Sunday looking good for NW...East coast today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

east coast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 donga_perkins

Can someone tell me where the best waves will be this weekend? Thanks!
    BTW I'm willing and able to drive anywhere in the country, if anyone wants a lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am looking for somebody who can surf - I have borrowed a little longer lens and therefore I would like to take some pictures of surfers. And if there is a board rental, I might even consider getting wet and cold too.
    Any hints much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Can someone tell me where the best waves will be this weekend? Thanks!
    BTW I'm willing and able to drive anywhere in the country, if anyone wants a lift!

I'm looking for the same info. I checked magicseaweed but it's quite vague. Think i'll just take a chance and head over.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

ibh wrote: »
    I'm looking for the same info. I checked magicseaweed but it's quite vague. Think i'll just take a chance and head over.

How is it "quite vague"???

Its a forecast, it is what it is?

I also find magic seaweed unreliable. It often says that the waves will be 6-8ft but when you go to the beach it might only be knee high!

Really it should just say what size the waves are going to be at the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lahinch forecast 2ft waves. surely, they were bigger than that today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

seachto7 wrote: »
    Lahinch forecast 2ft waves. surely, they were bigger than that today...

Dunno about yesterday but they were pretty big out the back on saturday. At least 4 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

only slightly smaller sunday.

I've burnt the hell out of my face over the 2 days, was not expecting the brilliant weather.

Lad's Magic sea weed basically hands it to you, but you need to read thier tutorial or this one http://www.lajollasurf.org/luds.html

The swell size quoted its the significalt wave height that will give a wave roughtly 1/3 the sice so if it's 2 meteres expect 2 ft....

Learnig to surf is about putting the effort - that includes rearning to read the charts and understand what makes agood swell. If you have a storm riders guide there's a good introduction at the start of the book.

Well why don't they just divide their heights to 1/3 instead of reporting 8ft waves? That would make much more sense. Thanks tho, I'll remember that from now on, divide by 3! :D

Well why don't they just divide their heights to 1/3 instead of reporting 8ft waves? That would make much more sense. Thanks tho, I'll remember that from now on, divide by 3! :D

Why Oh Why don't you just learn to read the charts for yourself.

Bythe way - if you use the stars on MSW don't use them on Windguru it's for wind surfers :eek:

what? All I'm saying is that they could easily do the "divide by three" thing and put that up there instead of misleading people. I usually check the stars alright but they're not so accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

what? All I'm saying is that they could easily do the "divide by three" thing and put that up there instead of misleading people. I usually check the stars alright but they're not so accurate.

Neither is dividing by 3... on some days you could divide by 3 and on others you could multiply by 3. Tis a serious business.

Oh sod it so :D
    It's probably best to just ask someone who knows what the waves are gonna be like then!

Because there not reporting 8ft waves, there reporting 8ft of swell!

*sigh* my point was they shouldn't give that prediction, they should just give the prediction of the size of the waves on the beach (by dividing by three or whatever). But apparenlty its not so simple. Sheesh.

Maybe we should start a thread where people can tell everyone where the best waves will be?

• Advertisement

*sigh* my point was they shouldn't give that prediction, they should just give the prediction of the size of the waves on the beach (by dividing by three or whatever). But apparenlty its not so simple. Sheesh.

Maybe we should start a thread where people can tell everyone where the best waves will be?

???
    Cos thats not how this works. Surfing doesnt get handed to you, you have to work for it.

Its about giving it time, and learning to read conditions. 10ft of swell is just that, 10ft of swell. There's a load of other factors involved in what way that will that 10ft of swell will show up on the beach.

And at the end of the day, its a prediction, all magicseaweed is is a program on a computer, the person who set it up has never even been to most of the places that they are forecasting for (im assuming) it just takes in the charts and spews out a possible outcome. Take 5 minutes and learn the sheer basics about reading the charts and then go to the beach and see what its like! You'll learn more doing that once or twice then you'll ever get by coming onto some forum and saying "wheres the best place this weekend"

If your too lazy to at least try understand the basics why bother?

Look it's called put the effort in and learn don't expect people to hand it to you.

Fair enough if you try and get stuck with something then you'll get help if you ask, but it bugs the sh1t out of me that people aren't prepared to try but expect to be give the answers. Read LUD's FAQ and this http://magicseaweed.com/news.php?categoryId=7

The reason they don't divide by 3 is that some breaks produce a bigger wave in the same swell, also the angel of the swell and period also make a difference They give you the significant sea height, period and direction the rest is up to your local knowledge .

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Look it's called put the effort in and learn don't expect people to hand it to you.

Fair enough if you try and get stuck with something then you'll get help if you ask, but it bugs the sh1t out of me that people aren't prepared to try but expect to be give the answers. Read LUD's FAQ and this http://magicseaweed.com/news.php?categoryId=7

The reason they don't divide by 3 is that some breaks produce a bigger wave in the same swell, also the angel of the swell and period also make a difference They give you the significant sea height, period and direction the rest is up to your local knowledge .

+1. Wind direction and force is also a factor. [And more]
    Wind was ESE this morning in La. & it was fun:) ......until I had to go to work:(

Advertisement