Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One step VPN

Options
  • 09-10-2009 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I work from remotely from time to time. When I do this I start up my laptop(running Vista), connect to a local wireless network (which I shall call Home) then once that's connected I go back into connections and select the office VPN (which I'll call Burble). 99% of the time when I'm working remotely I'm in the one location.

Can anyone think of a simple way to
    1. Start up computer, enter user details
    2. Have the computer recognise if I'm within range of the Home wireless network, and if so, connect to Home (key is already saved so no manual login required) and then connect to Burble (manual login required) as far as the Burble login screen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure about automating it to that degree, it'd probably need some work with windows scripting to make it work, however, for a start, your PC should connect automatically to your home wireless network as long as it's in range, and it's in your list of Preferred Networks and it's set to connect automatically if in range, so that's one step covered. Check in the Wireless Network Connection Properties in the Wireless Networks tab (select 'Home' or whatever it's really called and look in Properties and then the Connection tab).

You don't say what VPN you're using, but if you access it as you say by clicking on an icon in the Network Connections control panel applet, then simply drag that icon to your desktop and click on it from there, which'll save a few clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thanks Alun, feeling stupid that I hadn't already set "Home" to autoconnect (all my own devices do it, but for some reason I hadn't set it on the work machine).

I have a desktop shortcut already, but I think that calls a few default parameters that can be a bit flakey, so connecting the other way is usually easier.

I wonder what the downside would be to adding "Burble" to the startup? The main one would probably be that it would start when I'm in the office as well as remotely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

I presume you are using the windows in built pptp vpn type. You can set up a script and use the rasdial or RasDial Pro 1.3 command to automate the process.

Never used this myself but if you are afraid of a couple of clicks this could be your man...

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

You can set up pptp vpn's in windows to auto-connect to another connection before connecting themselves... is this what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sorry, no, it's not a pptp vpn. I'm not trying to be vague, but appear to be managing it:o

It's not a major deal, just sheer laziness on my part. None of the waiting times are quite long enough to make a cup of coffee/do something useful, but together they all add up to 5 odd minutes waiting around to hit the next button.

An easier solution may just be to buy a coffee machine on a timer, as that doesn't involve breaching security with an unsecure script.

• Advertisement
Advertisement