Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mikes gym amsterdam

Options
  • 08-10-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hey i was wondering if anyone has ever gone over there to train??

do people know the price range for training there for a couple weeks and what the schedual is like??

if any one has any stories from there time over there i am all ears:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 darkman x

I train at the vos gym in amsterdam and the level there is unreal..the mejiro and mikes would be similar, the training varies from trad muay thai in that alot more emphasis is placed on boxing and combinations....sparring is very tough in the tournament class...you have cats like nikos taramas that are killers...bjj hasnt caught on at all over here..marcos flexa is the only guy teaching decent jits and classes are on only twice a week!

Sorry prices......39 euro a month all in...privates are 35 euro an hour..thats with an assistant coach! hippolyte on trains class A and K1 fighters class times on www.vos-gym.nl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Vaporlock

kul thanks for the info man,thats not to dear at all,for the training your getting

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

A friend of mine trains at mike's gym and he said the following:
    Mikes gym is 40 euros a month, that includes daily boxing, kickboxing and mma lessons
    mma lessons are given by black and brown belt instructors and lots of emphasis is on clinchwork, takedowns and groundwork
    mikesgym.nl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

darkman x wrote: »
    I train at the vos gym in amsterdam and the level there is unreal..the mejiro and mikes would be similar, the training varies from trad muay thai in that alot more emphasis is placed on boxing and combinations....sparring is very tough in the tournament class...you have cats like nikos taramas that are killers...bjj hasnt caught on at all over here..marcos flexa is the only guy teaching decent jits and classes are on only twice a week!

i'm often there myself.
    do you do the muay thai or ju-jitsu?

• Advertisement

At the minute i am doing thai/boxing privates with ben 3 days a week and a bit of sparring on thurs mornings...have not rolled in ages! wasnt aware of black/brown belts training at mikes..might check that out to get my jokejitsu back on track cheers!

it's true what you said about the quality of the gym,it's by far the toughest sparring i've ever done (and i've trained in a few places).
    i'll pm you next time i'm going over and hook up with you,if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JamMasterG

Where about do you stay when training there?

I hear Amsterdam is pretty seriously expensive place to stay?

JamMasterG wrote: »
    Where about do you stay when training there?

I hear Amsterdam is pretty seriously expensive place to stay?

i stay with a friend,so it's free.:)
    theres all ranges of accomadation from hostels (cheap as chips),to short-let apartments ,up to 5 star hotels.
    it's generally a lot cheaper mid-week,just make sure and book ahead (though it's a lot less busy now with the recession).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JamMasterG

Would you have the names or locations or contacts or anything for them cheap hostels??
    I can across a few on google but the cheapest of them isn't all that cheap and not really that close to where mikes gym is.

• Advertisement

find one of the hostels in amsterdam city centre,theres a bundle of them near central staion,one the flying-pig is asking from euros18 on the 21 oct

https://www.go2hostels.com/front.php?mod=book&group=PIG&step=1&sm=10&sd=21&sy=2009&los=1&guests=1&submit.x=92&submit.y=18&submit=BOOK+NOW+!

and here's a few more

http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&q=hostels+amsterdam&meta=&fp=59c3e667f170b1ec

(like i said i always stay with friends so my knowledge of accomodation would be a little sketchy)

to get to the gym ,go out the back of amsterdam central(train station) ,cross the road and take the left-most ferry (i don't know if there is a charge but i know the other ferries there are free).this takes about 15 minutes.
    head right out of the ferry area and then take a left up oslofjordweg.you should be walking past student accomodation in containers. at the end of the street there is a building on your right with yellow plates on the gable and mikes gym is here on the second floor (i've translated this from the website).

Sorry to bump this mods...
    just to say Mikes' Gym burnt down yesterday when the storage facility next to it
    caught fire and it was razed to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Heard this last nite. Shame.

Advertisement