Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous Hosting

Options
  • 08-10-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I want to create a website which i do not want to be attached to - there may be a gray area about the copyright of the content. It is information that should be freely available to the public though, I wont get into the detail. It is 99.9% likely not to be contested in fairness bur just in case...

Does anyone know a reliable website that does anonymous hosting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

1qTour wrote: »
    I want to create a website which i do not want to be attached to - there may be a gray area about the copyright of the content.

When you say there "may be" - the logical step would be to see if there either (a) is or (b) isn't.

It sounds like you're happy to be "in the dark", to use that as an "out"; however in terms of law ignorance is not a defence.
    It is information that should be freely available to the public though, I wont get into the detail.

"should be" ??? According to whom ?

It is 99.9% likely not to be contested in fairness bur just in case...

Whether or not it's contested isn't the issue........find out whether you're breaking the law or not.
    Does anyone know a reliable website that does anonymous hosting?

No. And even if they do "seem" to, you'll have to pay them, so they'll have some details. And if there is a challenge and a court order, they'll abide by the law in order to minimise the "collusion" impact on themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

And we also do not allow hosting recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭1qTour

ah yea i know, i know but i dont really want to start a debate on it.

Its something i feel stongly about and if everyone knew the workings of it i'm pretty sure most would agree with me.

I just wanted to know if there was a way to host a site anonymously. Thanks for your help anyways.

Has anyone got any other information on this?

And we also do not allow hosting recommendations.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There are hosts in the US which allow you to pay by cash. Do a search on www.webhostingtalk.com to find them. I've used one or two of them in the past and it worked fine.

If your content is legal but just a bit controversial, I might host it for you (I run my own server outside Ireland). PM me the details.

• Advertisement

I have to agree with Liam - if this is as dodgy as it sounds, are you sure you want to be involved? If copyright is a grey area, then so is the law when it applies to IT and websites in particular, particularly with the international complications.

I see judges making seemingly ludicrous decisions on a weekly basis as reported by IT websites. If you are unlucky, you might get more than a "cease and desist" order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If its something you think should be in the public domain but for whatever reason its being surpressed then maybe instead of a website try sending it to wikileaks? Although if its a document you're doing up yourself it may not fit the profile of stuff they want.
    Wikileaks accepts classified, censored or otherwise restricted material of political, diplomatic or ethical significance. Wikileaks does not accept rumour, opinion or other kinds of first hand reporting or material that is already publicly available.
    http://www.wikileaks.org/wiki/Wikileaks:Submissions

nothing but rules and regulations on this site, will head to another forum so. sorry did not realise

Advertisement