Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower upgrade

Options
  • 08-10-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I have an electric shower at the moment. I think it's a mira event.

The problem is that while it's electric it doesn't heat the water. It works off the water tank or whatever. I.e. I have to get up early in the morning and turn the water on and wait for it to heat up before taking a shower

So, i'm looking at my options. I know maybe installing a timer on the water might do the job but i don't think it's what i want.

Is it much work replacing an existing electric shower with a new one that would heat the water etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

timer mite be the easiest option. replacing a pumped shower (your current one) with a pumped electric shower( that heats water) involves gettin a new pipe from your tank in attic to the shower and a new cable from the fuseboard. so depending on the house could be a messy job and not worth the hassle but depends on the house and how much you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I thought maybe the heating part could be done in the shower unit itself or something and would only involve work in the bathroom. If what you're saying is true then I guess that's ruled out because it sounds costly as well as being a mess.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

i just did one lately for a guy but was a bungalow with everything nearby the shower. timer is your only option i guess. recently did a job in a house on their immersion to solve the same problem also. they have a timer and also a button which brings on the immersion for an hour or so if you have timer off or need extra water in the evening etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would agree what maz is saying, altho i would never rule out the change completely. Im presuming the shower is upstairs, and access to the attic is available then the pipework isnt a big problem. The hardest part is getting back to the board but things can be done without wrecking the place. A small piece of floor, patch on plasterbroad, really depends on your house design.

If it was me, I would get a timer on the central heating and ignore the immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The timer could be wasteful if you don't have a good insulated heating system. Why not an instantaneous system? I believe it might require a large water pipe from tank. It will also need a new electrical supply but its instant hot water on demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cheapest option is fit a timer. Best option is go pressurised( Cost thousends) most used option

Triton T90 or Mira elite 2

Thant cost between plumbing the shower and electrics around 700 Euro

I would get a timer. The event is a great shower!

Advertisement