Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Ranking

Options
  • 08-10-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Any one help on this ? firend of mine just got a newwebsite completed , ( small service business based in Ireland ) thinking about using adwords , is it a gimmick , also have been told best way to get ranking is to link to other sites , any suggestions or good reading material on same .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

AdWords is not a gimmick, but it is very expensive. Make sure you are very careful with the keywords you base it on so you're only attracting the exact type of visitor you want.

I wouldn't worry too much about page rank. Most of my sites have low page rank yet appear in the top 5 or top 10 results on google. What I've found to be most important is a good domain (i.e. your keywords are in your domain), regular updates, and a bit of patience. :)

Visit www.seochat.com for pretty much everything you'll ever need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Thanks will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Its sites that link to you that give you a page rank.
    The higher the linking sites rank and the less links on the page the more
    the link counts with Google.
    Youtube is a good source of inro and Video is easier to follow!
    just search for SEO.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Shaneod21

Why not do seo and get organic traffic. It converts much better.

Best way to ranking is much more complicated than linking to other sites.

First of all you want them linking to you.

Do social bookmarking, press releases, video marketing, using the signature in forum posts helps a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

AARRRGH wrote: »
    AdWords is not a gimmick, but it is very expensive. Make sure you are very careful with the keywords you base it on so you're only attracting the exact type of visitor you want.

I wouldn't worry too much about page rank. Most of my sites have low page rank yet appear in the top 5 or top 10 results on google. What I've found to be most important is a good domain (i.e. your keywords are in your domain), regular updates, and a bit of patience. :)

Visit www.seochat.com for pretty much everything you'll ever need to know.

Wait. what? http://xkcd.com/192/

Firstly the question was how [sic] "to get ranking" (sounds like a bad country+western song) was to link to other sites, the poster didn't mention PageRank?

Devil is in the detail. Ranking and SE traffic is like a car - you have to have all the parts working well. A domain, content, authority, relevance, publicity, connectivity etc - everything plays together. You can't abandon petrol in favour of adding another engine - you need all the components at least. Sure you can vary the components but you can't just pick one

• Advertisement
Advertisement