Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Design

Options
  • 08-10-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

What do you think of the new look to the site

Can you give advice or opinion on this design (new look), What its like now (see here).
    I want to promote the video tutorials and Instructors Ads as it is the source of revenue but i also want to keep the easy to use format.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

What do you think of the new look to the site

Can you give advice or opinion on this design (new look), What its like now (see here).
    I want to promote the video tutorials and Instructors Ads as it is the source of revenue but i also want to keep the easy to use format.

Thanks
    Can I suggest making Tips in DrivingTestTips also Italic, it will look smoother (it looks odd now).

Also, your Header with your links to everything on your site - why not try space it out to fill the entire bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Can I suggest making Tips in DrivingTestTips also Italic, it will look smoother (it looks odd now).

Also, your Header with your links to everything on your site - why not try space it out to fill the entire bar?

Made a few changes, Thanks for you advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I find the new look very messy, you have at least dozen photos/photo backgrounds all different and uncoordinated. I'd rather work on the previous version or at least remove most of the photos and replace them with nice simple graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Made a few changes, Thanks for you advice.
    Much better, nice work - I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

A few suggestions:

a. The background picture in the main body - remove it, it just distract
    b. The Driving Video part - push it to the left so that it has only a single colour behind it.
    c. The testimonals image - keep the text within the sign or put the testimonals under the image as a bottom border to the people jumping.

The old banner with the single image is nicer, though the expanding of the width could have been done a little better.

• Advertisement

Made some changes BR, I like to other way with the people in but see what you think.

New stage 1 = http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/newimage2.php

After changes = http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/newimage.php
    a. The background picture in the main body - remove it, it just distract
    Done
    b. The Driving Video part - push it to the left so that it has only a single colour behind it.
    Don't know what you mean
    c. The testimonals image - keep the text within the sign or put the testimonals under the image as a bottom border to the people jumping.
    Put it inside and ye think it looks better
    The old banner with the single image is nicer, though the expanding of the width could have been done a little better.
    ye but the new image tells a story. I will keep the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm not feeling the blue/yellow gradient, it's very attention-grabbing, but I find the usage of it confusing... especially at the bottom of the page... my eyes are drawn to it, then they stop and think "ok, why am I here?"... it's distracting.

I think you've fallen into a trap of fixing design problems by adding more design, when really what you should be doing is backing off, simplifying, and focusing on improving the execution of what you do.
    I'm not an amazing designer myself (I wouldn't even call myself a designer), but I've been in the trap.
    I think the key is to spend more time on each step, tweaking and revising... it's boring, frustrating and lacks the instant gratification of adding something new and interesting, but ultimately it'll look better when you get it just right.
    I prefer that one.

I'm not feeling the blue/yellow gradient, it's very attention-grabbing, but I find the usage of it confusing... especially at the bottom of the page... my eyes are drawn to it, then they stop and think "ok, why am I here?"... it's distracting.

I think you've fallen into a trap of fixing design problems by adding more design, when really what you should be doing is backing off, simplifying, and focusing on improving the execution of what you do.
    I'm not an amazing designer myself (I wouldn't even call myself a designer), but I've been in the trap.
    I think the key is to spend more time on each step, tweaking and revising... it's boring, frustrating and lacks the instant gratification of adding something new and interesting, but ultimately it'll look better when you get it just right.

I prefer that one.

I changed the bottom. what do you all think now.

Thanks a mill people as it has helped a lot.

Its is my second ever design and I think with your help it looks good, but if you think i should change anything else just let me know.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

I think the site is grand as it is!! I like the one you help already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I think the colour, the bluey/purple isn't very pleaing or presenting a positive image. I think a more vibrant shade would be better.

• Advertisement

p wrote: »
    I think the colour, the bluey/purple isn't very pleaing or presenting a positive image. I think a more vibrant shade would be better.

I have tried to change the shade but I just cant get a colour which will market the site.

Thanks

Use kuler.com - or find a nice photograph on flickr.com that captures the mood you want and sample colours from it.

Use kuler.com - or find a nice photograph on flickr.com that captures the mood you want and sample colours from it.

What do you think now, i changed it

What do you think now, i changed it

It's better, I think it could even be a shade brighter.

A few other details.

- Make the head logo colour match the new colour scheme.
    - As a general guidelines, don't use Verdana for headings, it's ugly at large sizes.
    - Try to think about who your various visitors are, and what you want them to see on the site. Web sites should allow people flexibility, but you should define specific goals and try guide the towards it. Here's some good articles:
    http://www.andyrutledge.com/eye-paths.php
    http://carsonified.com/blog/features/design/turning-visitors-into-users/

It's better, I think it could even be a shade brighter.

A few other details.

- Make the head logo colour match the new colour scheme.
    - As a general guidelines, don't use Verdana for headings, it's ugly at large sizes.
    - Try to think about who your various visitors are, and what you want them to see on the site. Web sites should allow people flexibility, but you should define specific goals and try guide the towards it. Here's some good articles:
    http://www.andyrutledge.com/eye-paths.php
    http://carsonified.com/blog/features/design/turning-visitors-into-users/

Made changes but what text type should i use? Hmm

If in doubt, use Arial.

thanks a mil.

What is your opinion now.

http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/newimage.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Ah alot of improvement!

One small suggestion - the text where there is a blue background, lighten the colour up similar to your menu bar.

Either way, nice :)

Art_Wolf wrote: »
    Ah alot of improvement!

One small suggestion - the text where there is a blue background, lighten the colour up similar to your menu bar.

Either way, nice :)

Thanks, is that the job now?

Make the headings Arial.

Overall, it's an improvement and as good as your going to get for this version.

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

Hi All

I just added the new design to the website and would just like to say thank you all for you feedback.

You can how see it working here www.DrivingTestTips.ie .

If you would like to give your opinion of the site please do as it helps a lot.

Thanks again.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Looks good. However, the Driving Instructor's page does not have a heading. Bit inconsistant with the other pages.

I suggest fixing these errors too: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drivingtesttips.ie%2Findex.php&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

Advertisement