Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do results from a blood test normally take?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Heya Folks,

I popped along to the doc to get checked out for any overactive thyroid and I'm getting a blood test done on monday to see whats up. In the clinic they said it'd be three weeks before they got results which seems a little long - I know they send the sample to a hospital to get checked out and then deliver results back but would there be a quicker turnaround going direct to a hospital (if referred)?

Cheers!

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Even though you say you are going for a blood test, the chances are that your blood will be undergoing anything from ten to fifteen different tests. The result of some of the tests would more than likely be available an awful lot quicker, but some take longer. You are being told three weeks to allow for all the test results to come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

T4 levels should be back 3 days max

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moved from the Gentleman's Club...over to you mods :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Depends on the tests being done. Routine tests can be done pretty rapidly, but you have to add on time before being done (if there's a backlog) and the results being physically sent out (ye olde administration and post office for example).

Some tests that are less common and non-urgent may be batched and done ever week/month (eg, i used to be in a lab where pth was done whenever there was a full run collected, they'd sit in the freezer until the appropriate time)

Advertisement