Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpies couped up

Options
  • 08-10-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi everyone
    i've a small question to ask....
    is it legal in ireland to keep magpies caged?

i'm upstairs in my house looking over the neighbours hedge (which isnt hard) but i spotten a wooden box with chicken wire all round it, the box was about 8 feet up in the air and i saw something moving around in it (the box is fairly far away and my noseyness got the better of me) so i got my binoculars and had a look, i was a bit talken back when i could see what looked like two Magpies runing round the box, just out of intrest i wanted to ask the question if it was legal to keep them like that..

anyway, thanks in advance for your help
    Ed

(and my name on here is not refrence to a bird but my guitar lol)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

possibly a larsen trap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mockingbird

whats that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

does look similer to them alright, why would somone trap magpie tho, where i live and me neighbour there is so much space for bird and man alike lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/british-birds/53028-magpie-trap.html

following are quotes from the link above
    It's an established method of controlling magpies, although I had hoped it had died out/become illegal. The target magpies will come down to feed where the captive bird is, and once captured, its neck is wrung - job done! Certainly isn't a case of two for joy!

EDIT Just plucked up the courage to look it up. The sort I remember is called a Larsen trap, I believe. I think they are still sold.
    Perfectly legal for carrion crows, magpies, jays, jackdaws and rooks. Decoy bird has to have food, water, shelter and a perch. Magpies are controlled under the OGL to protect wild birds, stock or crops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

You can kill any species of crow in Ireland except Ravens and choughs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You might also ask in Nature and bird watching forum, they may know too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Shooting forum can explain it too.

thanks very much all of ye, so the just is that it is legal, it strange consideing they are such an intelligent animal..cant imagine why anyone would go to all the effort to kill one...anyway thanks again
    ed

Advertisement