Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start writing iPhone Apps?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Just though I would start a thread for anyone looking to start programming for the iPhone. I haven't gotten very far in the process myself so please contribute any more info you have!

First off the easiest way to get started is on a mac, there is no official SDK for windows\linux. However IBM have released a tutorial on using eclipse to develop native apps for the iPhone using open source tools but any apps developed this way will not be possible to use on non-jailbroken iPhones. For more on this see http://theappleblog.com/2008/10/07/ibm-extends-iphone-development-to-windowslinux-programmers/

Anyway, assuming you have a mac you can download an SDK from the official iPhone developer site for free which will let you get started. You can also get lots of basic info to get you started with sample code and tutorials there. Once you have developed your first application you will need to pay to join one of the iPhone developer plans before you can submit it to the app store but if your application is accepted you will get 70% of all revenue generated from sales of you program.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

You can run a version of apples os on vmware and then install the SDK and develop that way using your PC be it linux or windows.

Still though would be nice to develop straight without the messing about

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Do you need Snow leopard to make apps that will work on firmware 4.1?

I have a macbook pro with leopard installed and iphone 3GS with 4.1

Not sure where I should start because won't none of the SDK's be compatible with what have :confused:

/n00b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

WilliamOC wrote: »
    Do you need Snow leopard to make apps that will work on firmware 4.1?

I have a macbook pro with leopard installed and iphone 3GS with 4.1

Not sure where I should start because won't none of the SDK's be compatible with what have :confused:

/n00b
    Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Just below the download link on the Dev Site there is a Read Me file that outlines the system requirements and other important information.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Thanks!
    Might as well upgrade to snow leopard so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Well, Lion is on the horizon. So maybe holding of until then is a good idea.
    Unless Snow to Lion is free...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, Lion is on the horizon. So maybe holding of until then is a good idea.
    Unless Snow to Lion is free...
    Lion is at least 8 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Can anyone recommend any good books on the subject? I am hoping to get into iPad/iPhone programming pretty soon (as in, as soon as I can hit the job for an iPad :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClareLurk

You can install Mac OSX on a PC. Kinda hacky but it works. Better off using a Mac. Compiling an app using a VMWare image doesn't work that well. I've tried sending ad-hoc apps to clients and it has never compiled properly. Same as submitting to iTunes.

Advertisement