Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from reps to gen what do you think?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I must confess I have owned quite a few replica watches over the years mainly due to being a student with little money but a love of watches. Now Im almost afraid to wear them as I feel it makes me look a complete cheap skate. You guys seems fairly knowledgable if you saw someone wearing one of the watches in the pic would you immediately try and see if its a fake?

I'll attach a few pics there so you can see what you think...are they obvious to the trained eye? Dont lecture me on the black market etc I know all that and will not be getting another rep!

I'm going to get a gen for christmas probably a gen planet ocean but not 100% yet.

Of the watches in the pic I only have the 2 Breitlings and the (cheap) sub left. Sorry I got rid of the others now but money shortages made me sell them again. (Seiko was real btw).

Still have this one think it looks ok in fairness. Working chronos on replica 7750 movement.
    DSC00135.jpg

This was my first, lost the thing which was a pity...
    DSC00133.jpg

Picked this up for 80 quid or so....
    DSC00131.jpg

Still have this, has one very obvious flaw so dont like wearing it too often, working 7750 again.
    DSC00119.jpg

Gen dial and hands on this but I broke the keyless works reinstalling the stem so sold it for parts.
    DSC00121.jpg

Dont like Pams and this ws cheap and rough
    26082007007.jpg

Gen orange monster gone too...
    DSC00124.jpg

Here they are together minus the pam...
    DSC00116.jpg

If anyone wants to play spot what makes them rep work away! Just thought it might be interesting for people to have a look at whats there. Can't wait to get the gen now! And I would advise people to be very very careful on ebay, I have seen a lot of reps sold or gen money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my tuppence haypenny for what its worth

i would never buy a fake, either you can afford the real thing, or you cannot. however if you like the style of a watch and either cannot or will not pay the price for the 'real' version, there are plenty of quality outfits making similar style watches at more palatable prices,

few examples, rolex sub, marcello c, steinhart and many others make very high quality lookalikes with eta movements but obviously their own name on the dial,

IWC Flieger, again steinhart, archimede, stowa all make similar pieces, with genuine 7750 movements at good prices,

Eddie platts precista brand - tz-uk.com has hommages to the original panerai radiomer (precista prs20 italian), blancpan 50 fathoms, and the flieger styles watches (speedbird 3) all made with swiss movements and to a very high standard.

id recommend visiting the tz-uk forum and doing some reading,

hope this helps

oh and forget the planet ocean, get a seamaster 2254.50 instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Nice watches. I second your opinion about watches on ebay. There are lots of good replicas out there at good prices. Forums like watchuseek, RWG and others cover the field quite well. Craigslist, Kijiji are also good for a laugh such as Rolex new in box E200. Fraud is so widespread that I now only buy genuine replicas direct from China. I love how some of them state "copied from two genuine originals". Keep on ticking.

Advertisement