Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much concrete do I need?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

OK, I need concrete for 4 foundations, each one measures 60cm x 60cm square and 80cm deep, how much concrete would I need??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,921 ✭✭✭✭muffler

0.6 x 0.6 x 0.8 = 0.288 x 4 = 1.152 m3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

4No. x (0.6m x 0.6m x 0.8m) + 10% = 1.3m3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

thanks... you guys are fast, 1.152 m3, is it worth getting ready mixed concrete for such a small job, or just get bags of cement, some sand, some stones and mix it myself?

putting a wind turbine up, and it requires the sizes I mentioned for each footing, what mix would be best for this.... the holes after digging them out, is soft clay with water seeping up from below..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

For wind turbine, make sure the sides of the founds are perfectly vertical, not anyway sloped back. the forces from the turbine are different from standard constructs, and can work the founds loose if they are dug 'v' shaped.

Can't help you re the strength

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

CamperMan wrote: »
    soft clay with water seeping up from below..

Are you sure your footing is good enough?? Concrete is only as good as the ground it's poured into..
    You should really be down onto some decent hard subsoil for a sound job... I'd imagine anyway, how big is the turbine??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

CamperMan wrote: »
    thanks... you guys are fast, 1.152 m3, is it worth getting ready mixed concrete for such a small job, or just get bags of cement, some sand, some stones and mix it myself?

Mixing it yourself would be a lot cheaper. Most concrete suppliers only deliver a minimum of 5m3. Also, by mixing what you need as you go along, you won't be left with any waste or be under pressure to get the job done before the concrete sets or the rain starts.

bbam wrote: »
    Are you sure your footing is good enough?? Concrete is only as good as the ground it's poured into..
    You should really be down onto some decent hard subsoil for a sound job... I'd imagine anyway, how big is the turbine??

it's a smallish 1kw, on 6m tower,

Advertisement