Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 318 BATTERY TROUBLE

Options
  • 07-10-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

folks i bought a 2001 2 mths ago,there was a brand new battery fitted,after a week i pulled into me driveway at 2 pm one day,at 5 i tryed to start the car but battery was flat...there was nothing left on in car,so i put it down to new battery been faulty,i bought a new battery and now 2 mths on the car has gone dead again,went dead over night 2 times this week,i brought it to an auto electrican he said every thing was perfect and he cant find where the drain is coming from,and he couldnt sort the problem???ive also heard that in this model the air con can switch on over night and drain battery?????
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Tails142

On e39 5 series the final stage resistor or 'hedgehog' can go, and cause an intermittent drain through the heating fans running at a very low power.

Not sure if its the same on 3 series.

Google final stage resistor and you will see plenty of information, its an easy DIY to change them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 brentaz

email a chap called jonathan at atlas in drumcondra he is a qualified bmw guy on drumcondra@atlastyres.ie.

he looks after my 5 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭tattoo man

Tails142 wrote: »
    On e39 5 series the final stage resistor or 'hedgehog' can go, and cause an intermittent drain through the heating fans running at a very low power.

Not sure if its the same on 3 series.

Google final stage resistor and you will see plenty of information, its an easy DIY to change them out.

just as tails said above,i replaced this final stage resistor,the part cost i think 60 euro,got a lad to put it in,have had no trouble with battery going flat since,as above,when the resistor goes,the fans come on on there own,so over night the battery was drained,its a common fault in bmws,a fault that a garage will charge you an arm and leg to fix,cheers lads

Advertisement