Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Windows 7 upgrade

Options
  • 07-10-2009 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Has anyone managed to do this successfully!?

I recently (last month) both a Dell laptop from the site, a Studio with Vista Home Premium 64-bit so I'm definitely entitled to the free upgrade to Windows 7.

I've gone through the upgrade registration process at https://win7.dell.com/ numerous times but it was telling me the service tag wasn't registered. I got in touch with them and they sorted this out for me.

Now I can get past the service tag page and it brings me to a system architecture page. I click continue on this and all I get is a blank page.

Does anyone know what the next page is supposed to be?

Should I be doing this at some ungodly hour so because of system traffic or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I had the same problem as you, with the service tag not being recognised. Dell fixed it for me, and then it worked.

When I registered it brought me to a page saying that I would receive an email when Windows 7 is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

Finally got it sorted, the registration process could only be completed in Internet Explorer, I was using Chrome!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

How long is the delivery likely to take after successful upgrade process, Ive heard Toshiba said up to 60 days

I have a Dell, but cant find out any estimates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I finally got an email today, saying that it's been shipped. Shipping is by UPS (at least for me here in Germany), so I should hopefully get it tomorrow or the day after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I got mine yesterday, ordered Oct 22nd. Pretty annoyed that I had to pay €20 shipping for a crappy paper envelope containing 2 discs in paper sleeves, an invoice (which was wrong), and an approx. 20 page instuction manual. 2 pages per language, basically saying insert disc, follow on screen instructions! :rolleyes:

Anyway, did the clean install tonight and from hitting 'any' key to boot from disk, to first proper startup including driver installation was only about 30 mins! Couldnt believe it. Running like a dream and noticable performance improvements in overall navigating, as well as startup and shutdown times.

(Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium, Core i7, 8Gb Ram) and in case youre wondering, it shipped from Ontario. Tracking the package never worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I just got an email today from Dell to place my order for the Windows 7 upgrade. I paid 20 euro extra when I bought the laptop to get the upgrade, but it's now asking me for my creadit card details and charging me again. Anybody else get this?

I'll have to call Dell, but an dreading it after the last time I contacted their customer support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

system is pretty awful. We only got ours yesterday, despite having paid well in advance of the release date. Ring them up.

system is pretty awful. We only got ours yesterday, despite having paid well in advance of the release date. Ring them up.

Called them this evening when I got home and Customer Care closes at 6pm, so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Mine arrived this afternoon as well.
    As Stee pointed out invoice was incorrect: it said €20 shipping, when actual breakdown was 17.40 shipping and 2.60 taxes/duties at time of purchase, and a downright rip off for shipping something that weighs 50 grams tops.
    I've had items shipped from west coast USA weighing around 2kg, that arrived in the same length of time, with USPS for about $12.

BTW it does't seem to matter when you ordered...I didn't order until 27th oct, but have received it before people who ordered on the 22nd...

Stee wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday, ordered Oct 22nd. Pretty annoyed that I had to pay €20 shipping for a crappy paper envelope containing 2 discs in paper sleeves, an invoice (which was wrong), and an approx. 20 page instuction manual. 2 pages per language, basically saying insert disc, follow on screen instructions! :rolleyes:
    Wertz wrote: »
    Mine arrived this afternoon as well.
    As Stee pointed out invoice was incorrect: it said €20 shipping, when actual breakdown was 17.40 shipping and 2.60 taxes/duties at time of purchase, and a downright rip off for shipping something that weighs 50 grams tops.
    I've had items shipped from west coast USA weighing around 2kg, that arrived in the same length of time, with USPS for about $12.

Did you pay a premium (about €20) to be eligible for the Win7 upgrade when you bought your system from Dell? I thought that this fee covered p&p, but it sounds like they are lookin for another 20 quid again to ship the thing. Unreal! I would have nearly been better off preordering win7 on Amazon. I could have got it for €60 and had it by now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Machine was bought from PC world and nothing extra was paid on top for the upgrade at point of sale. At the time I wasn't even sure that it would qualify for the upgrade.
    I got the comp at a decent price so shouldn't really be complaining...but Dell's EU customers were the only ones that paid this extortionate shipping fee from what I could gather...of course that could be as much the EU's fault as it is Dell's...

Have you b een on to dell as regards paying on the double? Paying 40 odd quid for a "free" upgrade is ridiculous really considering the retail price for the full version...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

€20 is pricey to ship a cd but it could be worse. HP are charging €30 I believe.

I don't get the €20 at the time of purchase though. I bought ~25 systems from Dell since July and never once saw an option to pay extra for the upgrade nor was I asked for it by any of the reps.:confused:
    Dell didn't even announce their shipping charge till Win7 was released.

The only thing I think it could be was being asked for extra to upgrade from Vista home basic (which doesn't qualify for Win7 upgrade) to Vista home premium (that does qualify).

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The only thing I think it could be was being asked for extra to upgrade from Vista home basic (which doesn't qualify for Win7 upgrade) to Vista home premium (that does qualify).

Maybe that's what it was. I'll have to dig up my receipt and check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I didn't pay anything extra at time of purchase. And when I say the invoice was wrong I mean it said…

win 7 upgrade €0.00
    delivery €0.00
    tax €0.00
    total €20.00
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

it looks like they are getting the windows 7 upgade pack from mirosoft for 0$ and you cant be seen to charge tax for 0$ so it definitely lookks as if dell are surcharing it and pocketing it! :mad:

by the way my upgrade shipped today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I registered for the upgrade around Oct 10 and I waited but never got the email to invite me place the order when it was supposedly ready. Went into my account on Nov 04 and saw I could place the order anyway. I must have missed something. Anyhow, just got the email telling me UPS will be picking my delivery shortly and I got a tracking number.

Ordered: 04 Nov
    Estimated shipping date: 28 Nov
    Shipped: 16 Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dead air wrote: »
    I registered for the upgrade around Oct 10 and I waited but never got the email to invite me place the order when it was supposedly ready. Went into my account on Nov 04 and saw I could place the order anyway. I must have missed something. Anyhow, just got the email telling me UPS will be picking my delivery shortly and I got a tracking number.

Ordered: 04 Nov
    Estimated shipping date: 28 Nov
    Shipped: 16 Nov

They didn't send an invite email to place the order so you missed nothing.:)

I have 19 on the way with UPS as well. Picked up on thursday from ONTARIO, CA but still sitting in LOUISVILLE, KY.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ben84

Quick Question Guys: If I used Dell Windows7 OEM on old Dell PC like on XP is going to be Genuine as-well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Flin

ben84 wrote: »
    Quick Question Guys: If I used Dell Windows7 OEM on old Dell PC like on XP is going to be Genuine as-well?

Yeah, just use the activation key that came with the Windows 7 disc

Flin wrote: »
    Yeah, just use the activation key that came with the Windows 7 disc

So I can use them on all Dell PC? or one dvd = 1 PC pnly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Flin

I've used my Windows 7 Upgrade disc on my Dell Studio 17, as well as a Sony Vaio. So yeah, you can use it on more than one PC

Flin wrote: »
    I've used my Windows 7 Upgrade disc on my Dell Studio 17, as well as a Sony Vaio. So yeah, you can use it on more than one PC

Will try that, Thanks a lot. Happy weekend to all;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ben84 and Flin

please read the charter especially the bit about software you own , the license is only for one machine, and it's only the one the upgrade was supplied with

Advertisement