Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! Best engineering course???

Options
  • 07-10-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am currently in leaving cert and have a huge interest in Civil Engineering. I have looked at the courses available in NUIG, UCD, UL and TCD but have no way of comparing them. Does anybody out there know which is the best course to do? Which is the most highly regarded/ recognised?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

IMHo many of the engineering courses you do in those colleges will be equally recognised as a good start. My advice to you is to read the college brochures and prospectuses (prospecti?) thoroughly and try to decide for you which would be the most interesting choice, they will all have slightly differing subject mixes and elective choices.

I may be out of date on this one too, but bear in mind TCD have 2 years common (i.e. engineering generally including parts from computer, mechanical and electronic eng) which has pros (broad engineering knowledge base, appreciation of other disciplines, lots of time to make your mind up) and cons (a little less time concentrating on your chosen discipline in the latter part of the course, huge classes...).

Also bear in mind that Civil Engineering is quite broad. Think about whether you want to be a Roads and Traffic engineer (helping the cities and towns run smoothly), Structural engineer (helping cities and towns stay up!), Environmental engineer (helping cities and towns with clean water and air) as well, particularly when reading the college literature, and see where you might get the spread of subjects you want.

Other things around college choice apply aswell, such as distance from home, cost of living if away from home, and so on and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Chippy123

Well I did engineering in UCD and it's a pretty good course.Takes alot more points to do it there than TCD, which is a great college but I wouldn't necessarily say Engineering is one of it's priorities.

Know a few lads that did it in Galway too but I'd say UCD have as good an Engineering course as any other college.

Pretty tough aswell so good luck with that.;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'd recommend TCD for Computer or Electronic, but not Civil.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jonathan wrote: »

Why not civil?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kearnsr wrote: »
    Why not civil?

My experiences with the department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I wouldn't, a couple of years ago the Electronic were not given Engineers Ireland approval though that might have changed since, but what I heard from those that did elec was that the course was very dated and not very useful.

Anyway back to civil, I'd say if your sure you want to do civil, don't bother with trinity as the mixed coursed will just be a bit of a waste, UCD would probablt be best, hence the highest points.

But as others have said, when coming to get a job after, if you have good grades and good interview, the college won't matter too much as all in Ireland would be fairly well recognized degrees, so think of where u wan to live and other stuff like that i would say

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Mickodd, Don't forget there's also UU and Queen's, in Northern Ireland. You would have to apply to UCAS, but it gives you 2 options once your results come out.

If you are definate about civil engineering, then skip any course that does a common engineering first year imho.

Once they have the modules you are interested in (structural? Environmental? see Prenderb's post), and an accredited course, it's really down to which college you like more, as you'll be spending a bit of time there if you get civil engineering :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My experiences with the department.

Your experience with the department doesnt make it a bad course. The course isnt the best. There is a lot lacking or that could be improved on but compared to graduates of other course I have to deal with its not so bad
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    I wouldn't, a couple of years ago the Electronic were not given Engineers Ireland approval though that might have changed since, but what I heard from those that did elec was that the course was very dated and not very useful.

Anyway back to civil, I'd say if your sure you want to do civil, don't bother with trinity as the mixed coursed will just be a bit of a waste, UCD would probablt be best, hence the highest points.

But as others have said, when coming to get a job after, if you have good grades and good interview, the college won't matter too much as all in Ireland would be fairly well recognized degrees, so think of where u wan to live and other stuff like that i would say

Doesnt UCD do common years as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Engineering good,job prospects Ireland bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Currently, there are plenty a Bscs with a fair bit of engineering theory packed into them. The great things about these courses is that they dont focus 90% of the course on maths, which can boar the pants of some people.

If your up for the challange, go for a full on Eng... if you want to relax in college do a Bsc. They both command the same respect when going for a job, so finding the right one for your career aspirations is the only big cross roads you will encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm not 100% up to date on their courses but when I was applying it was seperate streams from first year or there was one course which was Civil and Mech for I think 1 year maybe 2, that was always the highest points one.

DIT do one common year and then stream selection is based of grades.

TCD 2 years common, grades don't come into your choice, when i did it anyway.

I'm not sure about anywhere else tbh what with my big dublin head on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

UCD is mostly a common first year with some option modules that allow you to pick which branch you wish to enter in second year.

They are getting rid of the denominated entries to the course completely this year with Engineering Omnibus & Structural Engineering with Architecture being the only two entries available to incoming students.

I suspect this is being done to encourage more omnibus students to enter Electrical & Electronic and Chemical & Bioprocess. Also to prepare for the changes that the Bologna Agreement will entail.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Eng is Trinity is engeral for the first two years, so if you are only interested in Civil, you could become very board. Im in First Year Mech in UCD and its awesome, im not in the Omnibus, but even still the entire first year is mostly commun for the first year. Thought they are changing it so that you have to do Omnibus next year. I was in the same predicament as you last year, but my choice was over DIT and UCD. there is not a big defference between either, UCD ended up being closer to where I lived. If you want a level 7 course you are better going for DIT because they are proberly the best who offer that type, UCD do only level 8 and im not sure about Trinity, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Currently, there are plenty a Bscs with a fair bit of engineering theory packed into them. The great things about these courses is that they dont focus 90% of the course on maths, which can boar the pants of some people.

If your up for the challange, go for a full on Eng... if you want to relax in college do a Bsc. They both command the same respect when going for a job, so finding the right one for your career aspirations is the only big cross roads you will encounter.

Theres not many BScs in Civil Engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jamesplarkin

I would recommend mech eng in UL. In my opinion mech eng is one of the broadest engineering course around and leads to jobs in construction, manufacturing, energy, transport ect. Any industry really.

If you do civil, you're pretty confined to construction which is kinda screwed for the foreseable future

UL is a class campus with amazing facilities, and the accommodation is pretty cheap too. Would love to be back there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ianmull

The TCD course has changed this year.
    It's still 2 years common but your stream choice will now be based on your grades.
    Also, AFAIK they are extending the course to a 5 year one which, upon completion, you will recieve the MAI degree (Level 9, Masters). This is the college's reaction to comply with the new regulations for chartership that Engineers Ireland have brought in. I think this is the course that anyone doing the LC this year will be studying in TCD next year (10/11) if you so choose the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

ianmull wrote: »
    The TCD course has changed this year.
    It's still 2 years common but your stream choice will now be based on your grades.
    Also, AFAIK they are extending the course to a 5 year one which, upon completion, you will recieve the MAI degree (Level 9, Masters). This is the college's reaction to comply with the new regulations for chartership that Engineers Ireland have brought in. I think this is the course that anyone doing the LC this year will be studying in TCD next year (10/11) if you so choose the college.

I would say that course is more for the Bologna process than Engineers Ireland no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_process

EDIT: I see what you're talking about though
    http://www.engineersireland.ie/media/engineersireland/services/Download%20the%20accreditation%20criteria%20(PDF,%20240kb).pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corklad86

mickodd wrote: »
    I am currently in leaving cert and have a huge interest in Civil Engineering. I have looked at the courses available in NUIG, UCD, UL and TCD but have no way of comparing them. Does anybody out there know which is the best course to do? Which is the most highly regarded/ recognised?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would recommened WIT for civil engineering as it is highly reconisged in the outside world. Every engineer i speak to tells me its the best for producing engineers.
    the education you get there is 2nd to none and you wont find the same pratical experince any where else.
    Its only a ordinary degree so you would ave to move collages to get a higher degree, but i heard talks of WIT setting up the honours degree for next year
    Im carlow at the moment in dere add-on degree and from speaking to those who did there ordinary degree in carlow, WIT is superior in every way

and by the way carlow IT is a below par collage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Figerty

You wouldn't want to be worried about Engineers Ireland. They have opened up the membership recently with nice hefty charges.

UL Mechanical Engineering is a fine course. I have friends who did it and they are well qualified for the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

corklad86 wrote: »
    I would recommened WIT for civil engineering as it is highly reconisged in the outside world. Every engineer i speak to tells me its the best for producing engineers.
    the education you get there is 2nd to none and you wont find the same pratical experince any where else.
    Its only a ordinary degree so you would ave to move collages to get a higher degree, but i heard talks of WIT setting up the honours degree for next year
    Im carlow at the moment in dere add-on degree and from speaking to those who did there ordinary degree in carlow, WIT is superior in every way

and by the way carlow IT is a below par collage

im doing the WIT mechanical + manufacturing engineering course and let me say this

I GOT SCREWED (robbed etc etc for the wow factor, think therrie henry)

its a NFQ level 8 course (4 years), but its not fully accredited by engineers ireland its only accredited at the accociate level, i.e. the same level as the level 7 CIT/DIT/courses (3 years), needless to say i wasnt informed of this when i came in, and now im in 2nd year :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

im doing the WIT mechanical + manufacturing engineering course and let me say this

I GOT SCREWED (robbed etc etc for the wow factor, think therrie henry)

its a NFQ level 8 course (4 years), but its not fully accredited by engineers ireland its only accredited at the accociate level, i.e. the same level as the level 7 CIT/DIT/courses (3 years), needless to say i wasnt informed of this when i came in, and now im in 2nd year :/

level 8 = BEng

Level 9 = Postgrads/Masters

level 10 = Doctoral

whats the problem?

level 8 = BEng

Level 9 = Postgrads/Masters

level 10 = Doctoral

whats the problem?
    they arent all accredited by eng ireland, every level 8 BEng honours degree fully accredited by eng ireland needs higher level c3+ in math as a pre req, but the WIT eng course doesnt, its b1 ord or d1 higher, and i have heard thats the reason

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

corklad86 wrote: »

woah there now, I've worked with 100s of engineers in every field over many a year and I can honestly say neither of those statements is remotely true. I'm sure it's no worse than comparable course but go easy on the hyperbole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Eoin D wrote: »
    strong 122nd place for trinity lol damn we got beat by 3rd world countries in quality of education india and china reppin in top 50s i see 2 indian colleges lol got beat by iran too i feel dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

gottymann wrote: »
    Did you read the list before you posted that link? No Cambridge, Stanford, Delft ... it does have MIT, though: the Maharashtra Institute of Technology. :pac:

Anyway, that wasn't the question, after all. If you're unsure what firld of Engineering to go in to, I'd say start with an Omnibus. If you do the UCD one, you could even switch to Structural after a year: they differ very little in the first year.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement