Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free bits of paper!

Options
  • 07-10-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

So if someone was handing out flyers on the street what do you usually do?

Look at the ground and ignore them?
    Look to see if its for anything interesting?
    Shout abuse at them?
    Take it and stuff it in your pocket (its free paper after all!)?
    Take it and drop it on the ground a few steps on?
    Depends on how hot the person handing them out are?

I was standing outside Trinity College in Dublin earlier and the guy who was handing them out was only handing them to women he obviously thought looked good. I went over and asked for one and it was just for a nite club ... not really gender specific.

Its still in my pocket despite the fact I wont go to said club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

How do you know his thoughts?????

Are you in his Head??? RTDH will be happy to know who is listening in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

I'll usually take them. Would never abuse someone handing them out. Can't blame the guy for handing them out to hot chicks, do whatever you can to make things better in a job like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

6th wrote: »
    Look at the ground and ignore them?

I look them in the eye and then ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I just say "no thanks." Manners cost nothing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Insurgent wrote: »
    I look them in the eye and then ignore them.

I generally laugh at them as I tell them 'no'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

I refuse to take anything like that. I am very zero tolerance when it comes to junk mail of any description.

What about those stupid advertising 'newspapers' they try to give you when your car is at traffic lights. My car is already full of junk -I dont want any more. Why do people roll down their windows, accept one and only then realise its full of ads and a total eyesore!

The ones in the street, I just don't extend my arm to accept it. Sometimes they try to look hurt if you avoid accepting it! Ha....as if you are going to care about their faux hurt feelings.

The stuff that comes in the door goes straight into the bin. I won't look at it out of principle mardy old cnut that I am.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I don't usualky take them. But one day I should ask them as much as humanly possible about whats on the flyer, then ask about the flyer itself (eg is it recycled paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

I just say no thank you and walk on!! I also say this to the the annoying Oxfam and Concern people even though all I want to do at them is scream, but by making eye contact and saying in a very definative voice 'No thank you' they seem to get a little startled and don't persue the issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Try and ignore them or say no thanks.

Any I do take, usually nothing interesting that they are promoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

I usualy take them and stuff them in my pocket and walk on,then when i get home i put them in the recycling bag. A little bit of maners costs nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I tend to transfer the contents of my back pockets from jeans to jeans and end up going through it all after a couple of months. I found €20 that way a couple of weeks back when I really needed it ..... though I doubt anyone on the street handed that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I always take them. They can't go home until they get rid of all the flyers, so it's helping them out

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

I tend to transfer the contents of my back pockets from jeans to jeans and end up going through it all after a couple of months. I found €20 that way a couple of weeks back when I really needed it ..... though I doubt anyone on the street handed that to me.

I did and i want it back,PM me for the details...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I cup my genitals and look at them amorously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was standing outside Trinity College in Dublin .

Bogger appeasement alert... :pac:

You're getting soft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Pinky Pixie

I get about five a week from scientologist trying to recruit me. A couple of weeks ago one even shouted at me saying "you better read that"!

I think it's just because I look really gullible though:p!!

I always take them same with the free papers because then they get to go home quicker, so it's like a little good deed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

It's a pretty **** job to have. don't make it worse for people just because they need the money. Same goes for telemarketers. Fun at first but when you meet someone who's worked there at a job you soon realise that people do really get depressed and get their soul sucked out of them working there due to what we do for kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

I take it, read it, and put it in my bag/pocket until I get home and then dump it.

Helping them out. If I pass them or other people handing out similiar flyers again, I just smile and say "No thanks , already got one. "

Minimal effort. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I usually take one and make an origami boat/box/balloon, and leave it somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'd say no thanks unless it interested me. Sometimes i'll even go as far as speaking to them.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I just take the fliers, say thank you, wait until I`m out sight of the vendor, and dump it in the nearest bin.

I was standing outside Trinity College, near Dublin earlier

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I fully question them about the contents, lecture them on the spelling and grammatical errors in their leaflet and then hand it back to them.

Advertisement