Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

server location for google

Options
  • 07-10-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

I am re-designing a website for a hotel, their server is loacted in the US. Would it be better hosting this in Ireland or would the US location actually be of benefit to the hotel (presuming most visitors to the site are from US)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't think the server location is going to make a difference to the customers or google. From your point of view having it in Ireland might make sense. There's good companies in Ireland, they're in the same time-zone and are just the cost of a local call away. Makes running the server a lot easier in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I think google take into account the physical location of the server, for example searching www.google.ie, websites hosted in Ireland will appear top, similar to www.google.co.uk but with www.google.com I'm not sure what the rule is as .com is both US and International.

Also, I'm not sure how clever google is. If an american user on www.google.com searches for an Irish hotel does google then give priority to servers located in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

When you register a website with google, you are given a choice of countries from which to choose the location you wish to be associated with. That's using Google Webmaster Tools, which is very good.

I don't know for sure, but a .ie might be a help too.
    I agree with Evil Phil that the server location will make a whole pile of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A .ie domain will still appear in a "pages from Ireland" google search, even if the site is physically hosted abroad.

Thanks, I agree, having a landline support number 9-5 is invaluable so I will do my best to switch them over!

I think with the Webmaster Tools account I can close this one off!

• Advertisement

I've had no problems with hosting abroad, especially as the UK is in the timezone.

I've had problems in the US, nothing awful but you end up relying on their online support systems which is fine unless you need something fixed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Also remember that if they need to work on the server , out of hours in america is in hours in Ireland.

Again, there's always the UK.

Advertisement