Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated grips

Options
  • 07-10-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a make and where to buy?

I bought these and I'm not impressed. Throttle grip is oversized in every way, they have been on the bike 1 day and the LED on the high setting has died and to top it off it takes bloody ages for them to actually heat up.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Picking up a pair of Oxford HotGrips this evening, will let you know how I get on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Yea the Oxford are the way to go.have them on both and are simple to fit....get them for about 60sterling id say

Came across this deal earlier which I think I'll order, great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

KamiKazi wrote: »

You get it for the same in Cotters if you add up the shipping.

randomway wrote: »
    You get it for the same in Cotters if you add up the shipping.

Really? Hot grips + muffs for ~ €50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Hey man,

looks like a good deal. Let us know how you get on with them-might order that package myself once the bikes fixed...

Hey man,

looks like a good deal. Let us know how you get on with them-might order that package myself once the bikes fixed...

Will do, gonna order them and a few bits this evening. Whats the craic with your bike anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the replys. Just a quick update, the high LED hasn't died but rather the High setting has. A class piece of electronics.

Will do, gonna order them and a few bits this evening. Whats the craic with your bike anyway?

Cheers man,

Ah have been away for the last three weeks and so parked all my problems till after the holidays so haven't done anything. Unfortunately I'm back tomorrow and did some terrible damage to my card so it's hard to know when I'll have the cash to get everything back in order!

Reckon it just needs a good service (and fork seals replaced) to get me through the winter.

I'll probably sort it out sooner rather than later though-commute on the bus was wrecking my head before I left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

oxford are good value and were still working perfectly when I sold the bike 2 years later, had muffs too on a different bike but not both together. I found muffs pushed back by the wind and pressed against the brake lever at Xmph (cough) so stopped using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

I'm on my 3rd set of oxford hot grips .... 3 different bikes.

easy to fit and quite reasonably priced. I got mine on e-bay.

The following is a review on how to fit them. Newer versions of hotgrips may be slightly different as this review is old.

http://www.foc-u.co.uk/reviews/chrioxford.htm

Hot grips finally came today :cool: will fit them on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

to top it off it takes bloody ages for them to actually heat up.

No wonder - it says they only draw 1.5 amps. That's only 18 to 20 watts - so half that on each side - and you have rubber and gloves between them and your hands. You need more oomph than that on a cold day (and a low setting, or variable heat, for when they reach the temp you like)

I can't offer any advice on aftermarket ones though as my bike came with OEM ones fitted. First bike I've had with heated grips. I'll never ride through a winter without them again.

Whatever you do, don't fit heated grips without a fuse, or bypass the fuse...

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive had 2 sets of Oxford Hot Grips. The first pair were an older model and stopped working after a year. The set I currently have were only put on a few weeks ago but I find them easier to use and faster to heat up than the last model I had.

Just a tip, try wire them via your brake light so that they only operate when the ignition is on.

faceman wrote: »
    Just a tip, try wire them via your brake light so that they only operate when the ignition is on.

Yea I'm gonna attack the bike with a multimeter tomorrow :D

Surely the brake light cable would only have power when you're braking?

Fitted em this morning, pretty awesome :) Took about an hour to install the grips and a pair of Oxford muffs. Anything above the second setting (40%) burns :p I'm not sure if it's because the right grip is thinner than the left or not, but the right grip seems to give off a little more heat than the left.

Fitted em this morning, pretty awesome :) Took about an hour to install the grips and a pair of Oxford muffs. Anything above the second setting (40%) burns :p I'm not sure if it's because the right grip is thinner than the left or not, but the right grip seems to give off a little more heat than the left.

good stuff. try to turn them off a few minutes before you arrive at your destination. if your batteries feeling a little ill then leaving the hot grips on till the end can mean having to jump start her.

i only use the lowest setting when riding. if its really cold i might use the higher setting at the start to get them up to heat.

good stuff. try to turn them off a few minutes before you arrive at your destination. if your batteries feeling a little ill then leaving the hot grips on till the end can mean having to jump start her.

i only use the lowest setting when riding. if its really cold i might use the higher setting at the start to get them up to heat.

Yea I only use the 1st or 2nd setting. I don't think the right grip gives off more heat, I think it's just that I use my left hand to wipe my visor etc. whereas my right hand never leave the grip.

Yea I only use the 1st or 2nd setting. I don't think the right grip gives off more heat, I think it's just that I use my left hand to wipe my visor etc. whereas my right hand never leave the grip.

yeah I find the right grip slightly cooler. as you say that might be due to wiping your visor with you left hand. also it may be due to the left grip being thicker and absorbing more heat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Much bother fitting them? Does it keep your whole glove/hand warm or will the side exposed to weather still be freezing?

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Much bother fitting them? Does it keep your whole glove/hand warm or will the side exposed to weather still be freezing?

Took a bit of brute force to get the left grip on, but I think that's because I have Renthals on which may be slightly thicker and the left end was knurled too which didn't help. Keeps my whole hand warm, but that's probably because I stuck a pair of Oxford Sports Muffs on as well.

Simona1986 wrote: »

only on the really really cold days will the exposed side of your hands be freezing. all other days the warm sensation on the palms of your hands compensates for the colder side. they certainly keep your hands from freezing to the point where you can't feel them and cant use the controls properly or concentrate on the road.

Oh dear that links dead think the deal must be over.

Having a poke around the internet for an equivalent offer but please give us a heads up if you know of anythin! ;)

Hey man,

Oh dear that links dead think the deal must be over.

Having a poke around the internet for an equivalent offer but please give us a heads up if you know of anythin! ;)

Saw that, that's why I ordered them, realised how good the deal was :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Oxford Hot grips
    Are these the full Oxford Hot Grips product, because at 39.99sterling they seem a little inexpensive? Seems too good!

MargeS wrote: »
    Oxford Hot grips
    Are these the full Oxford Hot Grips product, because at 39.99sterling they seem a little inexpensive? Seems too good!

Reckon the price is about right for just the grips but no muffs attached, so going on what others are saying they'd be of limited value on their own....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

A slightly off topic question but i dont think the question needs a thread of its own.

I tried to find some gloves for bloody ages and couldnt find a nice warm pair to fit me properly. Damn little girl hands! haha!

I have gloves but they are kinda a racing glove so arnt that warm, would it be worth my while getting some oxford muffs? I guess i could still wear my gloves with the muffs on the bike? Would i need both?

goodlad wrote: »
    A slightly off topic question but i dont think the question needs a thread of its own.

I tried to find some gloves for bloody ages and couldnt find a nice warm pair to fit me properly. Damn little girl hands! haha!

I have gloves but they are kinda a racing glove so arnt that warm, would it be worth my while getting some oxford muffs? I guess i could still wear my gloves with the muffs on the bike? Would i need both?

Muffs are awesome, no more wind chill ;)

this is slightly off topic too, but it definitely doesn't deserve a thread of it's own.

Muffs are awesome. I remember being in a pub one evening and a girl screamed at me that my problem was that 'I was afraid of the muff'.

And you know what? I think she mighta had a point....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm not sure if it's because the right grip is thinner than the left or not, but the right grip seems to give off a little more heat than the left.

The right grip is insulated from the handlebars by the throttle twistgrip; the left grip is in contact with the handlebars. So heat conducts away faster from the left grip and it will feel cooler.

Some heated grip kits have a 'warmer' grip for the left side to compensate for this.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement