Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBAC: A Question

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi, I am not trying to conceive at the moment, but I feel I may want to have another child in the future. I have 17-month-old twins who I had via C-section April 2008. I would not want another c-section if I were to have another child, so my question is, is there anyone out there who's had a successful VBAC? Or know of anyone who has? Would I automatically have to have another c-section if I got pregnant again in the future?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

As far as I can remember, the success rate for a vaginal birth after c-section is very high (80% is in my head for some reason)

You'll automatically be 'high risk' and would need constant fetal monitoring during labour, but as long as the pregnancy progresses without complications and there is no other indication for c-section, there is usually no reason why you shouldn't have a normal delivery.

It is something you will have to discuss with your obstetrician when you do next get pregnant, but as long as you tell them that a VBAC is something you feel quite strongly about, then there is no reason why you shouldn't try for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hi Niamh,

The success rate definitely depends on the hospital you're attending. NMH would have quite a progressive VBAC policy in place (60 - 70%) whereas other units have much lower rates. It's worth shopping around if you're in the Dublin area.

Tracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Slainte_sf

NiamhEile wrote: »
    Hi, I am not trying to conceive at the moment, but I feel I may want to have another child in the future. I have 17-month-old twins who I had via C-section April 2008. I would not want another c-section if I were to have another child, so my question is, is there anyone out there who's had a successful VBAC? Or know of anyone who has? Would I automatically have to have another c-section if I got pregnant again in the future?

Many thanks

Good Resource www.ican-online.org

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Hi there,
    I had twins in February 2008 and am going for a VBAC with this baby (due end of Feb 2010). I just can't imagine trying to lift and run after the twins if I have to have a RCS!

Your chances of success will vary depending on reason for first c-section (my twins just didn't want to come out and were born at 39 weeks, so that is not going to repeat!), how long it's been since your section (more than 18 months is best), and what kind of cut you had (a low transverse. ie bikini line cut and double sutures is best).

Advertisement