Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai arrest Airport "Police"

Options
  • 07-10-2009 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I read today that members of An Garda Siochana's drug unit have arrested a DAA staff member, an Airport "Police" officer for possession of Cocaine and Cannabis worth approximately Euro130,000.

Apparantly the "Police" officer had substantial quantities of both drugs at his home in Swords, where his young children reside.

I personally would like to congratulate the Gardai involved, although I have a sneaking suspicion that they may have gained perhaps a little more satisfaction as a result of this drugs find than others.

Wasn't it the airport "Police" that only a few weeks back arrested an off duty Detective Superintendent on the departures level of Dublin airport for obstructing traffic.:eek: I wasn't aware the airport "Police" has such powers?

I salute you An Garda Siochana, job well done :)

More importantly, I feel the media coverage can only benefit An Garda Siochana and it's members, by alerting the public to the fact that members of An Garda Siochana and those of the airport "Police" are not one and the same, but in fact totally different organisations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

I read today that members of An Garda Siochana's drug unit have arrested a DAA staff member, an Airport "Police" officer for possession of Cocaine and Cannabis worth approximately Euro130,000.

Apparantly the "Police" officer had substantial quantities of both drugs at his home in Swords, where his young children reside.

I personally would like to congratulate the Gardai involved, although I have a sneaking suspicion that they may have gained perhaps a little more satisfaction as a result of this drugs find than others.

Wasn't it the airport "Police" that only a few weeks back arrested an off duty Detective Superintendent on the departures level of Dublin airport for obstructing traffic.:eek: I wasn't aware the airport "Police" has such powers?

More importantly, I feel the media coverage can only benefit An Garda Siochana and it's members, by alerting the public to the fact that members of An Garda Siochana and those of the airport "Police" are not one and the same, but in fact totally different organisations.

Im delighted with this news...the airport police think they are the cats pyjamas, they are a shower of wanksters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

1: As a member of the public I always knew the Airport Police where a separate entity.

2: If a detective was obstructing traffic in the airport it would be remiss of the Airport police not to enforce the laws they are paid to.

3: You seem to convey some idea the AGS and Airport police are bitter rivals I see no reason for them to be. If AGS covered the airports it would be a pretty boring for them considering they could be out doing handbrake turns on Arthurs Quay in Limerick around Eroo in pursuit of a citizen who refused to believe they where police.

4: Somewhere in the article I read there was an element of "pressure" on the Airport Police Officer. Without knowing what that pressure was I would be slow to make any harsh judgements.

5: And last but not least
    Seriously ... :rolleyes: they cant see you dude your on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

The arrest was hardly to stick it to the Airport Police. I'm sure if it had been a member of AGS who had 130k worth of drugs in their possession they'd have been treated in the same manner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dear God OP, you must be a total wannabe...

They are not airport "police", they are AIRPORT POLICE. They're legally defined as authorised officers of the minister for Transport. They aren't security guards because they have a ridiculous amount of powers, more than the average Garda does on the street (although naturally all Gardaí get these additional powers too on entering the airport).

They are entitled to arrest and detain and therefore get the title police. I don't think it's mandated anywhere in law but it makes sense and you must be incredibly small minded to suggest that the majority of them are anything but as commited to their job as you or I, there's rogues in any job. How many serving Gardaí were arrested last year I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

An amazing insight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

[GA] State aerodrome to be a public place and roads therein to be roads for purposes of Part X of the Road Traffic Act, 1933 . 22.—For the avoidance of doubts it is hereby declared that—
    [GA]
    ( a ) a State aerodrome is a public place for the purposes of any enactment;
    [GA]
    ( b ) the word "road" shall, for the purposes of Part X of the Road Traffic Act, 1933 (No. 11 of 1933) include a road in a State aerodrome.
    btn_printact.gif

Air Transport and Transport Act 1950.

If my interpetation of that is correct the "Authorised Officers" masqeraiding as "Police" at Dublin Airport are not authorised officers under the Road Traffic Act, therefore they have no power, to my mind on a public road, ie outside the terminal building. The operate merely under bye-laws not primary or secondary legislation much like the Rangers in the Phoenix Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A hypothetical question if I may : A person is detained/arrested by Airport Police for assault , who does the associated paperwork ? who actually charges the person ? who presents the evidence in court ?

If the Airport Police do all the above then I would say they are ' real ' Police but if it's the Gardai who do it then I have to say ( and I don't wish to piss on anyones chips here ) that they ( Airport Police ) really are glorified security guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

delancey42 wrote: »
    If the Airport Police do all the above then I would say they are ' real ' Police but if it's the Gardai who do it then I have to say ( and I don't wish to piss on anyones chips here ) that they ( Airport Police ) really are glorified security guards.

10375__bunk_l.jpg There's poliiice, and there's reeeeeel poliiiiiiiice.

Do we have to go through all this again? The poor joeys are still reeling from the last identity crisis thread on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Do officers authorised by the Minister for Transport have a power of arrest?

This thread is gone way OT.

Somebody just do a search for the old Airport Police Powers thread to get the answer for where this one is going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's going nowhere.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement