Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

effexor 150xr

Options
  • 06-10-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hi would like to hear from other people on effexor or any anti deppressants not looking for advice just like to know how people find these meds i go to my doc whenever i need to change percription or get advice but would be nice to here from others in my sittuation.PS there is a history of depression and mental problems in my family

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

Hi there...been on and off meds since i was 21...am 37 now! Life saving medication for me..have tried them all - Prozac...Lustral...Citalopram...usually once I start feeling better i stop taking and then a year or two down the line i get depressed again...docs always give me diff meds and am always open to trying different ones..

Thhe newer SSri are the most common...am low myself at the moment(not sleeping, VERY low self esteem, not eating, hitting myself..) I know im sick so need to go back again..

Best of luck..try and mix with good diet, no alcohol, yoga and excerise...if you get the right balance your sorted mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SeeBach

Effexor especially that high a dose (150mg) will take a while to be absorbed ~ a month or so... you will still continue to feel depressed, keep at it observing a good diet and exercise. For the effects to be noticed you also need to take it regularly and at the same time of the day. There are side effects like disruptions in sleep patterns, clammy hands and feet, nausea etc.. depending on how bad these side effects are would be an indicator whether you should continue with the drug or not; but a course of 1 month should be attained for the drug to take effect.
    If it works for you, good; if not change it for another. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 madliz

hi, i've been on antidepressants on and off for 8 years now, one doctor said i would be on them indefinitely and i suppose he was right.

At the moment i am on mirtazapine, which i was put on because i developed a serious problem with my sleep. As soon as i was on them my sleep went back to normal and these tablets actually agree with me and i function better on this one than the others. i've been on it for about 2 years now, don't know how long i will be on it for.

you don't say how long you've been on effexor, but they do take time to take effect, so don't give up. obviously if you still don't feel much better after a while then it might be good to see about a change either in dosage or actual medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 soon30

hi thanks for the replys i have been on the effexor for 2 years between 75mg and 150mg they have been good for me but im finding it hard to work and am very fatigued on them

• Registered Users Posts: 16 madliz

i sympathise with you, it can be hard to work out if the tiredness is due to the depression or not. might be worth you speaking to your doctor specifically about that and see what could be done to improve the situation. might mean being switched to something else, but if it's something you haven't been on then it could be the one for you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Was on effexor for two years, was on 150mg for a year and then reduced to 75mg. I found the sweating unreal on 150mg, very uncomfortable but it did help my moods. 75mg was a lot more comfortable and helped a great lot too.

Now the downsides - missing a dose or two doses resulted in dreadful withdrawls, nausea, etc. I found out the hard way, you have to cut alcohol out entirely to get any benefit at all from effexor or I guess from ANY anti depressant. When I cut alcohol out I never had a bad day again.

Good luck wih it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

I've been on Effexor for two and a half months, first month 75mg, then upped to 150mg. I found weight gain and loss of sex drive a huge problem with my previous anti-d (lexapro), and these problems are definately much better on this med. However, I have had some teething problems - for me, effexor and too much alcohol does not mix. Also, have had a couple of down days since I took them but when I feel good, I love the meds. I've also lost over a stone since I started them, without changing eating habits, exercise regime etc.

Advertisement