Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning Facebook "x new posts" feature

Options
  • 06-10-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

On your homepage of Facebook, whenever there are new status updates posted by friends, it dynamically notifies you on your homepage and when you click the link, the new updates appear.

facebooknewspost.jpg

I regularly attend events where I offer live text updates on websites as the event progresses (eg: http://www.ladbrokeslive.com ) and my ability to use the term "live" is severely limited by the requirement of the user to refresh the page on a regular basis.

The "Show X new posts" feature would be the perfect feature to deliver live content to visitors as well as cutting down on bandwidth by saving the need for refreshing the page.

Are there any current open examples of such a script/feature?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Start by googling AJAX. It's a combination of javascript and sql stuff, very web 2.0 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm not that new to the game :). I had hoped that this particular feature would be very desirable and that someone would have created a class for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

Maybe Ajax polling using jQuery and setInterval might be what you are looking for.
    It's pretty straight forward to do if you have some knowledge of jQuery.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Didn't realise you knew about ajax AdMMM, you can never tell unless you tell us in the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Very straight-forward to create something like this in jQuery, it's also possible to reload just the top section of the page is required using similar methods, instead of just displaying a link to load the new content.

If you know jQuery and a back end language you could probably knock something together in about 30 minutes, I've done some similar stuff for a client before.

It's also not really something that would be all that generic, which is probably why there is no class/jquery plugin for it (that I know of), as it all depends on how you would poll and what the server request and response mechanisms would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement