Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoD 1916?

Options
  • 06-10-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Ok before you all start I know this is never going to happen. At this rate the makers of call of duty are running out of wars. So I was thinking about suggesting 1916 of Ireland and the build up. I can't find a way to contact the Call of Duty guys eg IW or Treyarch. Does anybody have nay contact information? And what do you think of this idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I doubt WW1 will ever be doing, weapons are far to boring compared to WW2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I dont think the OP was talking about WW1...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

kaimera wrote: »
    I dont think the OP was talking about WW1...

I understand where he is coming from as it's pre-WW1.
    But honestly about 1916 I think it would be great. Could also be educational too as World at War was all mainly fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

WW1??? are you serious??..

Ye OP i think its a great idea. Would be very different type of warfare, the war of independence would have been slightly more interesting with the mix of guerilla warfare etc...

Maybe a mix up of the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Yeah that's what I was saying when I meant the build up. All to do with it would be great. It would also be a fairly good campaign. The only downside I find is maps for online play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

I think there should be a COD with a sci-fi twist to it.
    Maybe one where an elite US fighting unit stumbles across a 'timeshift portal' thing in Arizona whilst on a training exercise, and gets transported back through time to the WW1 era. All surroundings would be authentic early 20th century, but your unit would have mini-guns, RPGs and HumVees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry for me 1916 means WW1, CoD is actually about wars, honestly do you ever think any company would make a game or any one would buy a game about a bunch of Irish lads who try to take on the British army by holding up a post office, get real. There would be one mission, the Helga would come up the Liffey and you blow up the GPO -> GAME OVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Ok before you all start I know this is never going to happen. At this rate the makers of call of duty are running out of wars. So I was thinking about suggesting 1916 of Ireland and the build up. I can't find a way to contact the Call of Duty guys eg IW or Treyarch. Does anybody have nay contact information? And what do you think of this idea?

Chances are about 1 in a million tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

cod vietnam would be good

Bluestripe I would agree with that. I can't remember the last time I seen a good Vietnam game. The main issue there is Americans view that war as a loss so won't be to keen to develop/play it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Would there be enough content? What's the detailed story? Who do you play as specifically? I think it's going to be fairly tough to strech a whole game across an event that was fairly short. Example off the top of my head is Black Hawk Down the game, it was a single event but the game had stupid other levels that weren't connected. C'mon more details!

Maybe, there'll be an awful lot of bolt-action rifles. Sub-machine guns etc. wouldn't be as prominent as WW2 imo. Won't suit the gamers who fire off 100's of rounds of ammunition. I'm no WW1 historian but people will be too 'bored' by a WW1 game as some campaigns such as the Somme, Verdun etc. were pre-dominantly slow, boring trench warfare.
    I understand where he is coming from as it's pre-WW1.
    But honestly about 1916 I think it would be great. Could also be educational too as World at War was all mainly fact.

For me...fact = education. How do you learn without education and facts?
    I think there should be a COD with a sci-fi twist to it.
    Maybe one where an elite US fighting unit stumbles across a 'timeshift portal' thing in Arizona whilst on a training exercise, and gets transported back through time to the WW1 era. All surroundings would be authentic early 20th century, but your unit would have mini-guns, RPGs and HumVees.

Go read the John Birmingham series; 'Axis of Time'. :D

Yep. Haven't played a definitive Vietnam game on the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

just no

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

It would just be one level of trying to capture a building with **** all guns and then an execution cutscene. It would have to be dlc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I was thinking there could be a Star Wars Call of Duty.. I know there's an FPS called "Republican Commando" or something but I've no idea if it's like what I'm thinking....

Anyway you'd play "just another" clone but it'd be gritty and exciting and chaotic with loads of team mates and foes like CoD. About half way through the plot, just as you are defeating the rebels, the Jedi turn evil and form another, deadlier rebel group... (As in the ingame propoganda spins it this way even though we know from the movies it was the Emperor who turned evil).

No need to be meeting celebrities like Yoda or Darth Vader as the temptation might be for these licensed games...

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I think this is far more likely.

Id certainly buy cod 1916 but i dont think fps would do the history justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Bluestripe I would agree with that. I can't remember the last time I seen a good Vietnam game. The main issue there is Americans view that war as a loss so won't be to keen to develop/play it.

Last good Vietnam game I played was Platoon on the Commodore 64 :)

This would be a very good game indeed. There would be plenty of good weapons choice and you could call in napalm airstrikes :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Should base in on the Battle of Stalingrad, the turning point in WW II though have a funny inkling there was already a mission based on that in COD2 I think.

Loved reading all about Stalingrad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think WWI just has not been done properly in a video game to date.

I would go for a Rising / War of Independence/ Irish Civil war expansion pack. The international market would scratch their heads at the idea though so it is not going to happen.

Strange that... But was most of WWI either running up a hill towards a trench over barbed wire and mud and mine fields, or sitting there blasting a machine gun at guys running at you? I'm thinking this would get a bit boring after a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It depends on how it is translated into a video game I suppose. Much like WW2 is portrayed in video games, they never show you the months of driving around into russia or out of russia or across europe etc. It is normally only the action highlights that end up in the game.

Re WWI Tunnelling several tons of explosives under the enemy positions, the first aerial combat, aerial bombing, the first tanks, the first chemical weapons, soldiers carrying hate belts for trophies, fighting across many fronts/campaigns, butchers knives, artillery barrages that made miles of no mans land look like the far side of the moon. Massive formations fighting down to hand to hand - what part of that could not fit into a game ? We are talking about video games - not real life. There is no reason why FPS could not work if done properly for WWI. Plus it was a war Ireland fought heavily in which would make it more interesting to this market.

• Advertisement

Should base in on the Battle of Stalingrad, the turning point in WW II though have a funny inkling there was already a mission based on that in COD2 I think.

Stalingrad has heavily featured in previous COD games. 'Finest Hour' had a sizeable chunk of missions based in Stalingrad. WaW's opening mission was in Stalingrad too (The Amsel Mission)
    komodosp wrote: »
    Strange that... But was most of WWI either running up a hill towards a trench over barbed wire and mud and mine fields, or sitting there blasting a machine gun at guys running at you? I'm thinking this would get a bit boring after a while
    Morlar wrote: »
    I would go for a Rising / War of Independence/ Irish Civil war expansion pack. The international market would scratch their heads at the idea though so it is not going to happen.

I agree. Although it would be extremely interesting to 'see' these events and play in them, I can't see American or Asian gamers having a clue what's going on. To Irish it'd make a lot of sense, to others, unless you're heavily interested in Irish History, it'd be a waste of time trying to make clue of it.
    Morlar wrote: »
    It depends on how it is translated into a video game I suppose. Much like WW2 is portrayed in video games, they never show you the months of driving around into russia or out of russia or across europe etc. It is normally only the action highlights that end up in the game.

Re WWI Tunnelling several tons of explosives under the enemy positions, the first aerial combat, aerial bombing, the first tanks, the first chemical weapons, soldiers carrying hate belts for trophies, fighting across many fronts/campaigns, butchers knives, artillery barrages that made miles of no mans land look like the far side of the moon. Massive formations fighting down to hand to hand - what part of that could not fit into a game ? We are talking about video games - not real life. There is no reason why FPS could not work if done properly for WWI. Plus it was a war Ireland fought heavily in which would make it more interesting to this market.

I like the second aspect of your post Morlar but you said it in the first paragraph, only the 'good' or 'action' bits come up, COD developers never seem to throw in 'rare' stuff until really late into the game's series. Although I am open to correction. :)

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Last good Vietnam game I played was Platoon on the Commodore 64 :)

What a blast from the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I vote for COD7 : Modern Warfare Stab City

This is where it's dacent Limerick people versus the Scumbags...

Guns include .22 Rifles, Glock 9mm...petrol bombs..AK47's and diamond encrusted Uzi's as well as the ever reliable knife for er..stabbing :)

Maps would include Moyross/ Southhill/ Hyde Road / Raheen/ Dooradoyle as well as a massive 64 player map called Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Berkut wrote: »
    Okay, let's not go there folks...

WWI Tunnelling several tons of explosives under the enemy positions, the first aerial combat, aerial bombing, the first tanks, the first chemical weapons, soldiers carrying hate belts for trophies, fighting across many fronts/campaigns, butchers knives, artillery barrages that made miles of no mans land look like the far side of the moon. Massive formations fighting down to hand to hand - what part of that could not fit into a game ?
    The only thing from above that could work on its own would be the aerial combat IMHO. The rest might look spectacular but where would be the challenge?

All put together into one level might be good though, if you were involved in the decision making too... But it wouldn't really be CoD if you get me. I can imagine starting off with a tunnel, planting explosives, legging it back, getting out the binoculars to spot for the artillery barages (did this happen, or did they just pound the general area) but having to keep your head down, legging it to man a machine gun to stop a charge on the flank, turning around to see the boom from your earlier undermining exploits and charging over the top, miraculously dodging enemy machine gunners and barbed wire and mines, into the enemy trench killing any enemies and then defending the counterattack as the bad guys return fresh from their back-up trenches to bayonet the sh*t out of your fatigued unit... Trying to find a gas-mask off a dead man as they start throwing gas canisters at you...

...actually this is kind of starting to sound like a fun game... But the above might work well for one level... What's the next stage... the same again?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Berkut wrote: »

This is where it's dacent Limerick people versus the Scumbags...

Guns include .22 Rifles, Glock 9mm...petrol bombs..AK47's and diamond encrusted Uzi's as well as the ever reliable knife for er..stabbing :)

Maps would include Moyross/ Southhill/ Hyde Road / Raheen/ Dooradoyle as well as a massive 64 player map called Limerick City.

You could save a lot on map coding and attract a bigger market by basing it in any of the Dublin housing estates, or maybe just Thomas street.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

You could save a lot on map coding and attract a bigger market by basing it in any of the Dublin housing estates, or maybe just Thomas street.

I know you are only trying to get a laugh but saying things like that isn't fair mate... Be nice to those less fortunate you might need them someday.

Good people can come from bad places - Just look at Robbie Fowler, who would have thought 'GOD' came from Toxeth

komodosp wrote: »
    The rest might look spectacular but where would be the challenge?

All put together into one level might be good though, if you were involved in the decision making too... But it wouldn't really be CoD if you get me. I can imagine starting off with a tunnel, planting explosives, legging it back, getting out the binoculars to spot for the artillery barages (did this happen, or did they just pound the general area) but having to keep your head down, legging it to man a machine gun to stop a charge on the flank, turning around to see the boom from your earlier undermining exploits and charging over the top, miraculously dodging enemy machine gunners and barbed wire and mines, into the enemy trench killing any enemies and then defending the counterattack as the bad guys return fresh from their back-up trenches to bayonet the sh*t out of your fatigued unit... Trying to find a gas-mask off a dead man as they start throwing gas canisters at you...

I think putting it all in one level would be a waste. Just spread it out over the whole game and they'll be nice touches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

The 1916 Rising is hardly a 'War' to be honest, so, at most, it would have to be a DLC mission.

However, if Treyarch or IW were to tackle WW1, then it would be very slow and boring. Soldiers fought over a couple of yards of land for the most part, and considering the COD series was always about pushing forward, they would have to rethink the entire strategy of the game.

Also, have you seen any of the weapons from WW1? Seriously.

I can imagine the only "exciting" part would be trying to get your gas mask on in time.

Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan need to be given some treatment. Or else, a futuristic theme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Liber8or wrote: »
    Also, have you seen any of the weapons from WW1? Seriously.

I can imagine the only "exciting" part would be trying to get your gas mask on in time.

It could be good if done properly. Games don't focus on the monotony of wars, they focus on the aspects that translate to entertainment. Have you ever played Necrovision? Granted, it's an odd game, but the opening is all historical WW1, and its done very well - doom and gloom, lightning, mud and rain, senseless slaughter - it's almost haunting. The whole thing has an incredibly powerful feel to it. I'm sure Infinity Ward or Treyarch could apply their talent exceptionally well to a WW1 title as well. The possibilities are endless...repelling enemy attacks, trench patrol, no mans land patrol, rescuing downed pilots, breaking through into open country, fighting in open country during the 1918 German offensives, fighting at Verdun, the Somme, witnessing the first tank assaults, shooting down zepplins, and so on....the options are endless.

As for the weapons...what? Most armies in WW2 used weapons very similar to those of WW1 in terms of standard issue, though there was a massive difference in terms of things like tanks and aircraft - but these have never been a large part of the COD games, I know personally I never liked such levels. Every other aspect is similar...bolt action rifles, sub machine guns, belt fed machine guns, shotguns, pistols (luger/colt standard issue in both wars), grenades...these were all available in the first world war.

For example, this picture is of a German stormtrooper in 1918. To the casual eye, German soldier in 1918 and 1939-45 were quite similar. Same color uniform, very similar helmets, the WW1 man would carry a Gewher 98 bolt action rifle, that in 1940 would carry a Kar98, based on a similar design. Likewise, the British army used the exact same rifle in both wars as standard issue.

mp18.jpg

Not sure what weapons you think they used in WW1 but in terms of general infantry weapons - and weapons that you would use in a COD game - the same type of guns were available in both wars save for assault rifles like STG 44 and anti-armour weapons like Panzershrek (though they did have anti-armour ammunition in WW1 too).

I would give a WW1 FPS a big thumbs up. Necrovision was brilliant for the short time it was set in a historical WW1...then it just gets incredibly wierd and fantasy.

Advertisement