Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hall lighting problem

Options
  • 06-10-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem with our hall lighting set up.

The downstairs hall switch has three swithces, the middle swith must be on for either of the other two to work. ie the downstairs hall light must be on for the upstairs landing light and the porch light.

is there anyway i can fix this so we can turn on the upstairs light without the downstairs light being on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

it sounds like a simple re-wire at the switch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OK the problem is that the middle switch is "feeding" the other 2 switches. This problem is simple enough to fix. Turn off the power and post a drawing of how the switch is connected. Label the connections as they are marked on the back of the switch. Short pieces of wire will loop from one connection to another, show this on your drawing too. The chances are that the connections will be marked "C", "L1" and perhaps "L2".

From this myself or someone else here will tell you how to reconnect it so that the problem is solved.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, or you are not sure that you can turn the power off get an electrician to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thanks for that, ill try do up a sketch this evening. Thanks

Advertisement