Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cableing of new house for music/tv/internet

Options
  • 06-10-2009 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everyone
    I am building a 4 bedroom house - single story with attic conversion.
    I am at first fixing stage with regard to electrics and plumbing. I want to distribute
    music - 4 to 6 zones, telephone/internet, tv, and alarm to all 4 bedrooms, and other living
    spaces.
    I know that providing wiring (cat 5 or cat 6, co-ax, speaker, hdmi, control etc) from a central location
    to each room is important to get put in place at this stage.
    I have some questions.
    How many cables should I distribute to each room to provide delivery of above and some
    future proofing ?
    Should I use an a bus system for music or is there a more modern technology available for this
    purpose, I think a-bus is 7-8 years old now ?
    Are there any books, websites where I could get up to date practical information on this subject ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

www.instacom.ie do that sort of work.

Plenty of stuff on their website

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are many correct answeres to your question. There is no one size fits all wiring solution. You are right to try and "future proof" but to be honest none of us are sure of what type of wireing will be required in the future!

My advice is to pick the system that you like best that is within your budget. Once you have done this then you can pick wiring to suit it.

Personally I like the Bose systems. They are quite discreet (this keeps the other half happy), give a great sound and will do all that you have asked for. I am very happy with my own Bose system, but a freind of mine that is a sound engineer thinks it is a rubbish. Horses for courses!

The alarm and network cabling would simply be CAT5E or CAT6 as you said. I would suggest that you go for twin RJ45 points, one for phone and one as a network point.

Alarm wiring is pretty standard (plenty of threads here about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 amcdaniel

Hi folks,
    I have a similar requirement to the first message in this post.
    I'm renovating/extending a house and want to fit cabling for tv/broadband/sound.
    I know cat5/6 can be used for internet but thats it. I saw a solution at the selfbuild show that was using cat5 for everything back to some rather cheap looking patch panels and was charging a high price for the pleasure.

If someone could give a list of cable and connector types and recommend the required patch panels for setting up a single point for all rooms to have tv/internet/sound that would be fantastic
    Many thanks for any help offered
    mc d:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

You cant really go wrong with some copious CAT5 cabling. CAT6 is a pain in the arse.

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    You cant really go wrong with some copious CAT5 cabling. CAT6 is a pain in the arse.

Thanks dude, CAT5e it is so. Any recommendations on patch panels, etc for phone,tv and internet?

Thanks again

mc d

• Advertisement

Just get them all to one location. The equipment you buy will dictate the setup.

Sound thanks

Actually you will find more help with the setup part over on the nets & comms section.

Fantastic thanks, first time on these boards, didn't even see that one.
    Thanks again

Advertisement