Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Developer rates

Options
  • 06-10-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I know I've posted about possibly getting into web development but one thing I'm not sure about is how much web developers usually charge. Lets say you are a freelance developer working for yourself, and developing sites for different clients.

How much do these guys charge? Is it per hour? If so, whats the hourly rate approximately? Or do they have like a flat fee per site?

Just trying to get an idea of what the money is like. I'm an IT contractor now and I know what my hourly rate is obviously :) however I'm just wondering how it would compare to that of a web developer and whether eventually I could swap roles and solely work in web dev

Comments

Your hourly rate should be based on what you want to make as a weekly salary, or more appropriately what your current skill level as a web developer is worth. Calculate how long it will take you to develop each website. Add 10% for unknowns.

Now calculate the number of hours in your working week, and figure out what percentage of that is actual billable time, rather than time spent on administration, promotion and other activities.

You may find you are working 60 hours and only 40 are billable. Take your target weekly salary and divide it by your billable hours. There's your hourly rate. Allow for overheads, VAT, etc.

Starting out, you won't be occupied all week every week, and you will probably take 2-3 times as long to build a website while acquiring the skills, so you'll have to make allowances for these factors at the start.

Advertisement