Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega Semaster service

Options
  • 06-10-2009 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster on the watches forum :D

I have a seamaster automatic that I would like to get serviced, it's about 5 years old and I wear it everyday so the bracelet and clasp are a bit scratched.

I have been told that the case and bracelet are polished during a service, is this correct? It would be nice if i could get it spruced up a bit :)

Thanks,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They do whatever needs to be done, Last time round they replaced the bezel ring, crown, crystal, seals and gave the bracelet a polish.
    I was a little annoyed because the pins that hold the strap together were a little loose and they didn't fix them.
    Maybe it was my fault because I didn't ask them to specifiically do it.
    The Omega SA work has a two yr warranty as well.
    Where are you going to get it done, here or in Switzerland?
    getting it to Omega SA is a problem, couriers won't take jewellery and insure it.
    Post office only insure up to 150 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They do whatever needs to be done, Last time round they replaced the bezel ring, crown, crystal, seals and gave the bracelet a polish.
    I was a little annoyed because the pins that hold the strap together were a little loose and they didn't fix them.
    Maybe it was my fault because I didn't ask them to specifiically do it.
    The Omega SA work has a two yr warranty as well.
    Where are you going to get it done, here or in Switzerland?
    getting it to Omega SA is a problem, couriers won't take jewellery and insure it.
    Post office only insure up to 150 or so.

Thanks for the info CJ.
    I have no idea where to get it done, hence the post :D How did you get your watch to Switzerland?

Thanks,
    Neil.

I stuck it in a non descript box well padded and sent it via An Post Registered and insured for 150:eek: It's all I could do.
    It arrived and I got it back no problem

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I stuck it in a non descript box well padded and sent it via An Post Registered and insured for 150:eek: It's all I could do.
    It arrived and I got it back no problem

Bit of a gamble, knowing my luck it would go missing :rolleyes:

Well I was willing to take the chance, I had a terrible experience here with the local Omega agent, made a mess of the watch.... I wanted to get the factory to have a look at it.
    Registered post is usually pretty safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Whippo

Omega UK charge €475 for overhaul and polish. Cost €60 on top of that for fedex courier, covers items up to €25k. Turn around time with Omega UK is 8 weeks.... some shower!!!

Whippo wrote: »
    Omega UK charge €475 for overhaul and polish. Cost €60 on top of that for fedex courier, covers items up to €25k. Turn around time with Omega UK is 8 weeks.... some shower!!!

You would nearly get a new watch off the web for that price :rolleyes:

Perhaps not a new one Neilw! 475 is too much, I agree. They will not budge off that, they make money hand over fist on services. Remember, that price is a service, parts are additional also...

Perhaps not a new one Neilw! 475 is too much, I agree. They will not budge off that, they make money hand over fist on services. Remember, that price is a service, parts are additional also...

Parts extra :eek:

Didn't think the seamaster was as expensive now, I paid far less for mine.

http://www.watches.co.uk/watch.php?wid=8112S

Neilw wrote: »
    Parts extra :eek:

Didn't think the seamaster was as expensive now, I paid far less for mine.

http://www.watches.co.uk/watch.php?wid=8112S

Its the co-axial escapement you're paying for. If you look at the naming of the watch mentioned, its an 'Omega Seamaster Professional Co Axial'. I would be 99.9% sure that the seamaster you have Neilw incorparates the swiss lever escapement.

The escapement as it called, in a mechanical watch, without going into detail, regulates the turning of the gears which move the hands. There are many different types. The swiss lever has been the most common in watches worldwide for some time. Omega introduced the co-axial escapement into certain watches back around 2000, mostly the deville range I think.

Basically the claim is that the co-axial has better timekeeping properties over the swiss lever. With that said it costs more to produce the co-axial and its a newer technology. Like with all things, the costing will be passed onto the customer.

Sorry, I went on a bit there and probably confused you. If you're interested, do a search on some of the key terms above or pm me....

• Advertisement

Its the co-axial escapement you're paying for. If you look at the naming of the watch mentioned, its an 'Omega Seamaster Professional Co Axial'. I would be 99.9% sure that the seamaster you have Neilw incorparates the swiss lever escapement.

The escapement as it called, in a mechanical watch, without going into detail, regulates the turning of the gears which move the hands. There are many different types. The swiss lever has been the most common in watches worldwide for some time. Omega introduced the co-axial escapement into certain watches back around 2000, mostly the deville range I think.

Basically the claim is that the co-axial has better timekeeping properties over the swiss lever. With that said it costs more to produce the co-axial and its a newer technology. Like with all things, the costing will be passed onto the customer.

Sorry, I went on a bit there and probably confused you. If you're interested, do a search on some of the key terms above or pm me....

You learn something new every day :D and yes, I have the cheaper one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I got mine done in Paul Sheerin jewelers in Dublin. They are an Omega agent. They sent it off to Switzerland. Cost €350 if I recall. Watch came back like new. They even replaced the braclet, not sure why.

Mines a Seamaster Chronograph Chronometer with a titanium case/bracelet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Hi KSimpson,

What was the turn around time on your service...I have something that could do with one and am curious as to how long it took. I'd be just about willing to consider imaging paying the €350 - particularly as you seem to have gotten a bit of value for it.

Advertisement