Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa -vs- Peugeot 206

Options
  • 05-10-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

Looking to buy my first car, thinking of going for the Opel Corsa 2005, 50k miles, 1lt, 5 door €5000.00

or

Peugeot 206 2001, 88k miles, 1.1ltr, 5 door €2500

Any advice is much appreciated

Corsa or 206 16 votes

Corsa
    0%
    100%
    byteNyum NyumJHMEGTipsy MackieranfitzVolvoManHogzyCharlieCrokerrobtriMr.DavidAha-shakegermanicusavalon68Exclamation MarcNLaneJP Liz V1 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 padir

if money isnt an issue i would probably recomend newer car ...

but 206 is a nice starter off car..

and that .1 makes a difference...

corsa is three cyl and i dont like three cylinders. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

go for the corsa but try to get the 1.2 engine. much smoother as its a 4 cyl. afaik, it's more reliable too from what owners have told me. starters go on the 1.0 sometimes.
    1.0 is fairly unrefined, and isn't all that great at motorway or dual carraigeway speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A first time buyer probably won't notice that 3-cyl engine. The wife had a 1.0 Corsa many moons ago and it was a grand car with very decent fuel economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's your first car. You may be more likely to put a few scrapes and dents in it so buy cheap. Save your money until you have a bit more experience and you can buy something really nice. Of the 2 though I'd pick the Pug. Neither would be on my shortlist though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Opel Corsas are shocking bad cars. Crap to drive, crap engines, crap to look at , crap reliability....just crap. Like EPM said above , I'd probably have different cars on my shortlist ( i.e Clio or Fiesta ) but of the 2 you've put up it would have to be the pug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I got a 206 as my first car. And I'd reccomend one. But mines a 1.4, so eh, I dunno what the 1.1 is like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I had an Opel Corsa as my first car about 6 years ago. 1.2 litre. Was a great little nippy car, never let me down, quite a smooth car. Would highly recommend the Corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Theonly bad thing I found about the 206 was the driving position, the pedals are too close to each other for my liking. The Corsa would have to be the 1.2 litre though, 1.0 litre is rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 key-eat

Hey guys, thanks for your help.

still not sure what to go for ....

oh do ya recommend any good car dealers ? pref south side

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

It all depends what you want to spend....i been a Peugeot man i'd be going for the 206.
    for 2.5k you would'nt feel to bad if you put a dent in it.....:eek::)
    The 206's are a good car in general and the 1.1's are easy on petrol..:)

I edited this as i have just posted 206 posts...Thats spookey....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I had an Opel Corsa as my first car about 6 years ago. 1.2 litre. Was a great little nippy car, never let me down, quite a smooth car. Would highly recommend the Corsa.
    That was a 4 cylinder engine. Good little engine.
    The 05 mentioned here though is a turd of an engine. As the lads said OP, 206 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

bazz26 wrote: »
    Theonly bad thing I found about the 206 was the driving position

I thought it was just me! I had a 206 for about 6 weeks and could not stand the driving position a moment longer....traded in for a polo. Two of my friends have corsas. They havent had any problems mechanically and seem happy enough with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The 1.1 isn't the quickest car at all, but fine to drive around town. Generally comes quite well equipped as well - I think the LX is the one up from base model, and comes with elec windows and so on.
    avalon68 wrote: »
    I thought it was just me! I had a 206 for about 6 weeks and could not stand the driving position a moment longer....traded in for a polo. Two of my friends have corsas. They havent had any problems mechanically and seem happy enough with them.

I don't have any problems driving my wife's 206, and I am used to a lot more space in the foot well for my size 11s. The 106 is a right pain for sure though.
    key-eat wrote:
    oh do ya recommend any good car dealers ? pref south side

I would generally recommend you look for a car that suits you, not a garage. That said, Ferndale cars (formerly car nation) in Bray tend to have a few cars in that type of price range.

If this is a first car, then I'd stick closer to the 2.5 end of the budget, and also keep in mind the other cars that have been mentioned. The 1.25 Fiesta would be a good call, as would the 1.2 Clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if the choice is a 2005 Corsa and a 2001 206....
    I would have to take the 2005 Corsa....
    I like the Corsa and think they are a better built car than the 01 206.

Have actually had a 00 206 and a 05 corsa....

the 206 was lots of problems, it looks better, hte engine is better, but I found it suffered hugely with electrical issues,
    mainly... boucing central locking issues... which was a pain a real pain and expensive to get fixed..

Advertisement