Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission

Options
  • 05-10-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me what the hell the councils problem is to town people. I come from a town and want to buy a site 5miles from my home house but im not considered local enough. I have to be living in the area for 10 years.. does anybody think this is crazy? and if there are any ways around it can someone please advise me
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you were born or live in a town and want to move outside of the town boundry then you are likely moving into an area which is not zoned for housing and thus you must prove your genuine local housing need. Take a look on the development plan applicable to the area the site is in, it should all be stated there.

It may not seem fair but you should get answers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭angelic123

If you were born or live in a town and want to move outside of the town boundry then you are likely moving into an area which is not zoned for housing and thus you must prove your genuine local housing need. Take a look on the development plan applicable to the area the site is in, it should all be stated there.

It may not seem fair but you should get answers there.

I was onto the local county council today who advised me im not considered local as the are is considered high pressure meaning only locals can build there, they advised me to look for low pressure areas where anyone can build but advised these are generally "backward areas" is this not prejudice?

Sorry i must add that there is already planning permission on the site we are looking to buy but has an occupancy clause for the original owners, the site we want to buy is subject to planning permission, Ive always wanted to live in the country as has my partner but not so much so that we arent in a local area to ourselves. How can they decide who lives with and how do they come to that reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The economic provision of services is the reason behind this issue. It is written into each development plan in one form or another. As you pointed out there are areas which are not under such pressures, these are usually rural areas which are in population decline for some time so there is not any restriction on who can live there.

This policy may seem very harsh to you, but the motives behind it are good.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

angelic123 wrote: »
    Ive always wanted to live in the country

Rural house is a scare resource, and thus needs to be protected for persons who have a genuine need to live in a rural area. in all due respect, wanting to live in the country is not a genuine housing need.

The council have given you information as to how you may be granted a rural dwelling, namely by repopulating areas which are seeing depopulation.

Advertisement