Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tetanus?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

What exactly is it? And can it be passed from an animal to humans?

I do a bit of volunteering work with animals and i was told today that i should get a tetanus shot if i work with animals.

From googling it, it says that it can be picked up from the soil and can enter the body through deep cuts. There is no mention of animals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

From what I have heard about Tetanus I believe the risk from animals is concerned largely with their faeces and much as we don't like to think about it do we really know for sure where dear Rover last had his tongue :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

delancey42 wrote: »
    From what I have heard about Tetanus I believe the risk from animals is concerned largely with their faeces and much as we don't like to think about it do we really know for sure where dear Rover last had his tongue :eek:

Yes and no

If working around animals usually means working outdoors

if you get wounds outdoors and dirt contaminates the wound there is a rick of developing tetanus

Most people in ireland were vaccinated at or close to birth, in primary school, booster in secondary school and may or no have had a booster for some foreign holidays

The most important part is not the booster but thoroughly cleaning the wounds, copious amounts of water to irrigate it will dramatically reduce the chance of an infection

Bites from animals increase chance of infection because the contaminant gets deeper into tissue and difficult to easily irrigate

There is a finger prick test available from some GPS that can tell whether you are immune to tetanus or not, you will have to pay for the test

Advertisement