Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac course cao points

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to work out what way your FETAC modules add up to points for the cao?? I know you can use your best 8 modules so the next question i have is i have a distinction in word at level 5 and level 6 can i use them both in making up the 8 modules?? I hope that makes sense i have been trying to figure it out and its doing my head in!! Maybe i should give college a miss if this is so hard lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi,

This is what I found when I did a quick google

from this site: http://www.ccndungarvan.com/fetac.shtml

FETAC - Admission To 3rd Level Colleges

Holders of FETAC awards may apply for places at 3rd level Higher Education Institutions through the CAO system. Applicants must present a full FETAC award at Level 5 or higher. This full award may be accumulated over more than one academic year. However, it is the responsibility of the applicant to apply to FETAC for a full award. A record of achievement does not meet the minimum entry standards.

Grading of FETAC Awards
    An overall CAO point score is calculated based on results in the best 8 modules presented. For modules with a credit value of 1, scores are awarded as follows:

* Pass - 20 points
    * Merit - 35 points
    * Distinction - 50 points

The maximum number of points that can be obtained is 400. Once points are allocated they will be used to place applicants in order, in the same rounds of CAO offers as Leaving Certificate applicants.

Note!
    FETAC results cannot be added to Leaving Certificate points. If an applicant presents both exams, the higher points will be considered for rating purposes.

Application
    Application is made through the CAO by the 1st February of the year of entry by completing the CAO form which is available from the Central Application Office, Tower House, Eglington Street, Galway. Applicants may also submit the form on-line at www.cao.ie

Important Note
    It is very important that applicants consult the relevant HEI as colleges and courses have specific minimum standards required in addition to those specified above.

I'm not too sure how FETAC works but I would say that you can only use distinctions of modules from the one course, that you can't mix modules from two different FETAC courses. But check with the college you are applying to as they would be able to give you a better idea of what to do.

Don't give up! Nothings too hard, you just have to get yourself organised. Make a list and tick things off.

Not sure if you are applying as a mature student or just through the FETAC route but have a look at some tips I put up here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

Advertisement