Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We all knew it... the secret to long life

Options
  • 05-10-2009 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

http://www.nature.com/ncb/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ncb1975.html
    Article abstract
    Nature Cell Biology
    Published online: 4 October 2009 | doi:10.1038/ncb1975

Induction of autophagy by spermidine promotes longevity
    Tobias Eisenberg1, Heide Knauer1, Alexandra Schauer1, Sabrina Büttner1, Christoph Ruckenstuhl1, Didac Carmona-Gutierrez1, Julia Ring1, Sabrina Schroeder1, Christoph Magnes2, Lucia Antonacci1, Heike Fussi1, Luiza Deszcz3,4, Regina Hartl3,4, Elisabeth Schraml5, Alfredo Criollo6,7,8, Evgenia Megalou9, Daniela Weiskopf10, Peter Laun11, Gino Heeren11, Michael Breitenbach11, Beatrix Grubeck-Loebenstein10, Eva Herker12, Birthe Fahrenkrog13, Kai-Uwe Fröhlich1, Frank Sinner2, Nektarios Tavernarakis9, Nadege Minois3,4,14, Guido Kroemer6,7,8 & Frank Madeo1

Abstract
    Ageing results from complex genetically and epigenetically programmed processes that are elicited in part by noxious or stressful events that cause programmed cell death. Here, we report that administration of spermidine, a natural polyamine whose intracellular concentration declines during human ageing, markedly extended the lifespan of yeast, flies and worms, and human immune cells. In addition, spermidine administration potently inhibited oxidative stress in ageing mice. In ageing yeast, spermidine treatment triggered epigenetic deacetylation of histone H3 through inhibition of histone acetyltransferases (HAT), suppressing oxidative stress and necrosis. Conversely, depletion of endogenous polyamines led to hyperacetylation, generation of reactive oxygen species, early necrotic death and decreased lifespan. The altered acetylation status of the chromatin led to significant upregulation of various autophagy-related transcripts, triggering autophagy in yeast, flies, worms and human cells. Finally, we found that enhanced autophagy is crucial for polyamine-induced suppression of necrosis and enhanced longevity.
    So here we go. No more spitting. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Spare me the medical mumbo-jumbo doc, I can take it!

EDIT: OK now I read the big words and get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What do they say about snowballing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Here, we report that administration of spermidine, a natural polyamine whose intracellular concentration declines during human ageing, markedly extended the lifespan of yeast, flies and worms, and human immune cells.
    Unless your yeast, flies, worms or a human immune cell you're not gonna live much longer than you already wood.

Spermidine is not sperm made by the testes, it's a chemical.

Thread fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jumpguy wrote: »
    Unless your yeast, flies, worms or a human immune cell you're not gonna live much longer than you already wood.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

mikom wrote: »
    What do they say about snowballing?

Fun for all the family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Lol @ this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

jumpguy wrote: »
    Spermidine is not sperm made by the testes, it's a chemical.
    Sherlock :D
    Sperm is one of the major natural sources though.

Also, l2funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Well I could do with a little less oxidative stress alright, can I get this stuff in energy drink format or will I have to freebase it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Interesting....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Terodil wrote: »

Also, l2funny
    I was thinking something similar reading the first post...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

wtf...its hilarious.../sarcasm

but still not thread worthy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

ahh there are too many big words, Hurts my head :(

Advertisement