Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia ranks second for quality of life

Options
  • 05-10-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Australia ranks second for quality of life AUSTRALIA has the second-best quality of life in the world and could pip Norway for top spot, the author of a UN report on migration and development says. Australia was ranked second among 182 countries on a scale measuring life expectancy, school enrolments and income in the United Nations Development Program’s Human Development Report 2009, released yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You would swear you wanted people to flock here for some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

While it is great you would wonder why so many Aussies seem so fcuked up. Mentally ill, drug addicted, alcoholics etc. I know we have alot of this back home but the weather and lack of things to do causes much of it tbh. I was pretty surprised when out drinking with some office people I worked with how casually they would admit to having smoked meth in work ffs. Most of them had meth binged at some long stage in their lives. Can barely think of one Irish here who would touch that sh1te. Why they seem to have so many substance and mental health issues when they live in a country with beautiful sunshine for 8 months per year and where there is always something to do is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

shane86 wrote: »
    While it is great you would wonder why so many Aussies seem so fcuked up. Mentally ill, drug addicted, alcoholics etc. I know we have alot of this back home but the weather and lack of things to do causes much of it tbh. I was pretty surprised when out drinking with some office people I worked with how casually they would admit to having smoked meth in work ffs. Most of them had meth binged at some long stage in their lives. Can barely think of one Irish here who would touch that sh1te. Why they seem to have so many substance and mental health issues when they live in a country with beautiful sunshine for 8 months per year and where there is always something to do is beyond me.

There was a lad at the train station the other day inhaling spraypaint out of a bag. A packed train station!! Not a bother on him!
    His brain was fried, he came up to me asking for a cigarette by making the smoking a cigarette sign and uttering "Em mem mem mem!"
    Had i given him one he would have gone up in flames!

Had a lad smoking ice in our kitchen too one time.

There was a lad at the train station the other day inhaling spraypaint out of a bag. A packed train station!! Not a bother on him!
    His brain was fried, he came up to me asking for a cigarette by making the smoking a cigarette sign and uttering "Em mem mem mem!"

Pretty regular to be asked for money by methheads while queing at the ticket machine in Central station (Sydney). And the same oul junkie bint has asked me twice in a row for a bit of my food when eating in KFC near Town Hall this week. And dont even talk about trying to have a quiet fry up brekkie on the main street in the cross, idiots coming up asking for money and smokes. Seriously, great country and all but the attitude of the police and businesses to junkies wrecking your head in public places is a joke. All the takeaways, bus/ train stations etc back home have security to keep these idiots out, this place seriously needs to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Happens everywhere. Up to and including Limerick :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Two posts in and Australia is full of meth heads....

Ireland was number 5 in the list. STupid list.

bw wrote: »
    Two posts in and Australia is full of meth heads....

They live/hang out in the cross in Sydney. It would be odd if they said there was no meth heads or junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Beginning to recognise the junkies in Brisbane now. Not so much in the city centre but out here in the West End (hah!) there's a few around. Got asked for money while having my lunch in McDonald's the other day, at least they don't do that in Dublin. It's a nice country but it's no better or worse than Ireland. The heat makes things harder though. Fcuk me it was warm the other night, could barely sleep with the door open and no bedclothes (traffic noise around here at night is ridiculous). I hate to think what it'll be like in December.

On the bright side, we're due a thunderstorm or two in the next week.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    They live/hang out in the cross in Sydney. It would be odd if they said there was no meth heads or junkies.

Absolutely. But the sh1tholes they hang out in defines the country as a whole? But tbh I don't want to get some debate going on about who thinks what of Australa/Ireland/Norway, its just that it veered totally off topic within hours.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. But the sh1tholes they hang out in defines the country as a whole? But tbh I don't want to get some debate going on about who thinks what of Australa/Ireland/Norway, its just that it veered totally off topic within hours.

Do you want us all to just be quite?

Do you want us all to just be quite?

No man, knock yourself out. It's your opinion.

My only gripe was that as soon as a post goes up about Australia doing well in some (albeit poxy looking) list - the anti brigade jump on and start going off about junkies everywhere.

Ah nobody said that it defines the country.

I know Brendan is besotted with Australia and would possibly marry one of the methheads for a hassle free Visa. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Confab wrote: »
    there's a few around. Got asked for money while having my lunch in McDonald's the other day, at least they don't do that in Dublin.

lolz...

No man, knock yourself out. It's your opinion.

My only gripe was that as soon as a post goes up about Australia doing well in some (albeit poxy looking) list - the anti brigade jump on and start going off about junkies everywhere.

That is because there are junkies everywhere here. Dublin may be bad but at least most of them keep to themselves. Sit there with a cup, dont harass you. Aussie junkies are worse than the Roma gypsies back home, and, as said, getting harassed in a train station or restaurant isnt on. Pure laziness on the part of the government. FFS, I was at a rave on Sunday and the cops raided twice with an army of sniffer dogs, yet smackheads can walk around probably with drugs on them annoying the fcuk out of people with utter impunity? What a load of sh1te.

shane86 wrote: »
    That is because there are junkies everywhere here. Dublin may be bad but at least most of them keep to themselves. Sit there with a cup, dont harass you. Aussie junkies are worse than the Roma gypsies back home, and, as said, getting harassed in a train station or restaurant isnt on. Pure laziness on the part of the government. FFS, I was at a rave on Sunday and the cops raided twice with an army of sniffer dogs, yet smackheads can walk around probably with drugs on them annoying the fcuk out of people with utter impunity? What a load of sh1te.

Your hanging out in the cross and going to raves.

I dealt with Irish Junkies and Roma Gypsies they are far worse than aussie junkies.

I see your piont though Ireland has a huge security presence by necessity to prevent them getting to customers. Here the need is not as great.

Try having a coffee in Double Bay should be no junkies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ireland was number 5 in the list. STupid list.

The list was compiled from Data from 2007, things could have changed since.

Never been to Australia but from what I have heard the laid back attitude of the people and the weather are two key factors.
    I find it strange though when Irish people come home from the place speaking about "addictions and drugs" when most of them have spent the entire time they were there on the piss in the same bar and city. (From my experience)

I think every major city has its drug problems, including our own. It may be more open in Australia cos the police turn a blind eye but thats possibly why the place is so good to live in.

Your hanging out in the cross and going to raves.

I dealt with Irish Junkies and Roma Gypsies they are far worse than aussie junkies.

At least our ones, generally, stumble around so off it on heroin they are a threat to nobody, at least unless they need money for gear. Here they are wandering around energetically out of it on meth.

It isnt just in the cross, although even at that, the cross is sort of the Sydney equivalent of Temple Bar. How often do you see sh1te like that going on there?
    I see your piont though Ireland has a huge security presence by necessity to prevent them getting to customers. Here the need is not as great.

Eh? Far more need in Oz, so many nutjobs in this town. Though tbh even back home a junkie never wandered in demanding money/ food off me in a restaurant, only gypsies if the security guard was distracted (hope to christ they are got rid of if or when I come home)

I know Brendan is besotted with Australia and would possibly marry one of the methheads for a hassle free Visa. :)

This is truth!

To be honest one of the things I really like about oz is that noone annoys me on the streets, on the train and trams. I found that everywhere i went in Ireland that there was a crowd of young thugs or a p1ssed up skumbag making his presense known by shouting or generally acting in a menacing way making everyone around them uncomfortable. I dont think Australians put up with that sh1t as much as the Irish.

Thats what I noticed anyway.
    I <3 Oz

kippy wrote: »
    The list was compiled from Data from 2007, things could have changed since.

I saw a recent list, its somewhere in the forties now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

You would swear you wanted people to flock here for some reason?

Nearly have the missus persuaded. Ive been let go. we have no real massive debts no house etc.. and are thinking of going for the better life easy to see why..

elius wrote: »
    Nearly have the missus persuaded. Ive been let go. we have no real massive debts no house etc.. and are thinking of going for the better life easy to see why..

Mate go for something different don't let anyone tell you its easier. Plus if your missus is real close to her family don't bother.

There are 400,000 homeless Aussies in Queensland alone who would dispute the findings of this report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Mate go for something different don't let anyone tell you its easier. Plus if your missus is real close to her family don't bother.

There are 400,000 homeless Aussies in Queensland alone who would dispute the findings of this report.

You mean unemployed, surely? That's about the figure for homelessness in the whole country (Actually, only data I can find says 100,000 homeless as of 2001) But he almost certainly isn't going to be one of them (homeless or unemployed) if he's coming over with any relevant skills... And I'd assume he's not coming over if he doesn't have any, because he can't.

A) There isnt that many.
    B) They are Queenslanders, so it doesnt matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Aussie junkies are like puppys, they ask for a few quid but they are no way intimidating or violent unlike the heros here!

I got the 400,000 figure from the telly the night before. it could have been TT or a ACA so forgive me if the figures a little of. They where reporting on a free BBQ and attendance was huge. However I the food looked really good I would have said free barbie shag it Im homeless and so is my wife.

And actually you stand a very good chance of becoming homeless in your first few migrant years. For the first two years you are not applicable for any goverment help at all in relation to income. So if you do not bring enough funds to support yourself you either go back or become homeless.

In most cases we never hear this happening as UK and Irish migrants go home rather than get the cardboard and blanket out.

For my first WHV I had to prove I had £3000 to support myself to migrate here I did not have to prove even £3.

Advertisement