Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

american driver's license

Options
  • 05-10-2009 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i got a american driver's license during the summer is there anyway to transfer it to a full license now that im back in dublin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

i got a american driver's license during the summer is there anyway to transfer it to a full license now that im back in dublin?

There isn't an American drivers license, each state issues their own license and as such each state has a different relationship with foreign countries with regards to them accepting their licenses as valid to drive with. Depending which state issued your license you might be able to drive up to 6 - 12 months on it but then you'll have to sit the irish driving test to obtain an Irish drivers license. You can not exchange any US state license for an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

US licences are not transferable as the standard of driving and testing in many states are very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

No.

If you hold a full licence or International Permit from USA you can drive in Ireland for the duration of 12 months. If you intend remaining in Ireland for a period longer than 12 months you need to apply for an Irish Drivers Licence. This involves completing the Theory test, applying for a learner permit and completing the practical test in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ring the dept of transport......... ( well only if you want to hear the same laugh i did )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

That reminds me of a great video on YouTube :) Which I'll see can I find. But here is a hypothetical question, if you apply for an American License, holding a full Irish one, can you switch it back at a later date? i.e. Irish > American > Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Is it just me, or is "long story" the most intriguing phrase in the English language? :P

Advertisement