Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange electrical problem

Options
  • 05-10-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

I have a house (7 years old) from new. I have always been a bit suspicious of the wiring but an occurrance at the weekend has me slightly freaked. A cct breaker tripped on Saturday evening. As it was dark, I turned the hall lights on before investigating. To my surprise the hall light switch was powering the kitchen lights!!! The kitchen light switches didn't work. This continued until I reset the breaker and all came back to normal. I know that an electrician will be required but I sense a big job in the offing and wonder if this sort of thing maight be covered under homebond or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the kitchen light seems to be powered from 2 circuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

another 7 year old house..

I have a Hotpoint washing machine/dryer that trips the power to all the sockets in the house ...only when it is doing a spin..

...anyone work that one out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

davelerave wrote: »
    the kitchen light seems to be powered from 2 circuits.

I know. I almost had a nasty surprise on a previous occasion when replacing a light fitting in the living room. Although the fitting seemed isolated at the switch when the cct breaker was off, my phase tester showed otherwise. Ever since, I have always turned power off at the main switch when doing any work. It's just that I never followed the logic until the other night as my capability in this area is limited to changing light fittings/wiring alarms type work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Obviuosly, having read my previous post I meant to say that I thought that the power was isolated at the board by using the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

romah wrote: »
    another 7 year old house..

I have a Hotpoint washing machine/dryer that trips the power to all the sockets in the house ...only when it is doing a spin..

...anyone work that one out :confused:

post number 5 from Joey the lips on the thread below might be worth investigating :-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055669715

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

my phase tester showed otherwise.
    The first thing to be aware of is that if your phase tester looks anything like the one shown below then you should not believe anything it tells you. This has caused many accident over the years and for this reason they are banned from most sites.

NAR000057.jpg
    wonder if this sort of thing maight be covered under homebond or something?
    Homebond does not cover electrical work, it is related to the structural integerity of the house.

I think you need to get an electrician to look at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

superg wrote: »
    post number 5 from Joey the lips on the thread below might be worth investigating :-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055669715

Thanks for info ....it sounds like the same problem ..will check it out

:)

Advertisement