Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car security - steering wheel lock?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭

Can you guys recommend online shops I could get a steering wheel lock?
    Or even local shops in Galway.

What types of locks are better than others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got one on ebay for 20E. Steering wheel locks aren't particularly safe, more a deterrent and don't rely on it too much.
    Discs are better than bats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

Cool, it's just that my neighbours both have the same lock model, so if someone was to choose a car, they'll go for mine probably :(

What about wheel locking nuts, can I just ask for them in a local motor factors, are there different types/sizes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Does your car have an immobilizer/alarm?

What type of car is it?

Yeah you can get locking nuts anywhere, there's a place in Liosban Business Park.
    Or google which ones you need and buy them online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MollyRose

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can buy a steering wheel lock in Limerick?

Thanks,
    MollyRose

Most car shops would stock a few various ones. Go in/ring and ask.
    http://www.goldenpages.ie/category_Motor+Factors_County:Limerick-1.html

Ebay has loads.

Thanks Magnus,
    I'll do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You would be better purchasing a safe for your car keys as thats how your car will be stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    You would be better purchasing a safe for your car keys as thats how your car will be stolen.

absolutly if your car has an immobiliser they will need your key to start it and if you have a steering wheel lock where will the key to the steering wheel lock be? probably on your keys. a decent car theif will have even the best wheel lock off in about 30 secs and again they then need your keys to start the car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Tipsy Mac wrote: »

Maybe, but you may also find that thieves will threaten or use extreme violence to get the safe open so maybe it isn't such a good idea.

Hi all,

Just to let you know the thief was able to open the locked doors of my car and had the ignition ready to go when I caught them. They had not used my keys.

thanks for all your advice,
    MollyRose

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would recommend a good quality lock and chain. Much better than a steering lock yoke!
    MollyRose wrote: »
    Just to let you know the thief was able to open the locked doors of my car and had the ignition ready to go when I caught them. They had not used my keys.
    What car?

MollyRose wrote: »
    Hi all,

thanks for all your advice,
    MollyRose

what car / what year was it immobilised? the majority of cars now have factory fit immobilisers and are impossible to "hotwire" if your car was immobilised then all the ignoition work wouldent have got the car started at best it would gave been driving useing the starter to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A steering lock that completely covers the wheel is the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

what car / what year was it immobilised? the majority of cars now have factory fit immobilisers and are impossible to "hotwire" if your car was immobilised then all the ignoition work wouldent have got the car started at best it would gave been driving useing the starter to drive

Immobilisers are by no means inpenetrable - I have a What Car magazine from 1999 where they were able to drive away in many (then new) cars with factory fitted immobilisers (mandatory in the UK since 1998) using "common tools". I know things have probably improved a lot since then but there's still a lot of older cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Absurdum wrote: »
    Maybe, but you may also find that thieves will threaten or use extreme violence to get the safe open so maybe it isn't such a good idea.

I'm just speculating here but any car thief looking for a swift and can't do it without using or threatening force is in the wrong business. Maybe an M5 or an Evo will attract that sort of attention but hardly a swift.

Immobilisers are by no means inpenetrable - I have a What Car magazine from 1999 where they were able to drive away in many (then new) cars with factory fitted immobilisers (mandatory in the UK since 1998) using "common tools". I know things have probably improved a lot since then but there's still a lot of older cars on the road.

absolutly they can be got round and thats why locksmiths can make keys at the car but your average scrote wont have the equiptment and / or the know how to do it. and immobilisers came into the uk around 94 with some models haveing them in as early as late 93. the question about mollyroses car being hotwired still hasnt been put into context i.e what car what year

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the question about mollyroses car being hotwired still hasnt been put into context i.e what car what year
    I wouldn't hold your breath for MollyRose to respond either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Depending on the value of your car, if the bad guys really want it they can just winch it up onto the back of a recovery truck. No amount of immobilisers will stop that. Maybe some more advanced technology.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement