Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got me swine flu vaccine....

Options
  • 05-10-2009 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Everyone in my job went to the local hospital to get it in their vaccine clinic.

I haven't developed autism or guillain-barre syndrome yet. But I'll keep you all posted :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

will ya have to go back for a second shot or is it needed?

its been a long summer waiting for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Everyone in my job went to the local hospital to get it in their vaccine clinic.

I haven't developed autism or guillain-barre syndrome yet. But I'll keep you all posted :P

Have you found yourself thinking that a New World Order is a good idea?
    Have you started purchasing goods and services rather than saving your money?

Oh my god you have havent you!

*adjusts tinfoil curtains and hides under bed*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

looking forward to getting mine too - although I still suspect that the "very bad cold" I had for a week was probably swine flu. I never had a fever whenever I checked it so maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

skelliser wrote: »
    will ya have to go back for a second shot or is it needed?

its been a long summer waiting for this!

Just the one jab in Oz, though I don't know what they're recommending in Ireland. Best to follow their guidelines, as it's a slightly different vaccine, but should be the same to all intents and purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Dammit Tallaght, you're part of the conspiracy too!!!!!!11111111!!! He's being given the safe form of the vaccine, the rest of us will get the mercury laden cancer causing paralysis inducing vaccine*....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, I do not know how any can be so reluctant to take it, when you consider the front line medical folk are going to be one of the first takers...you know, some of them happen to be the people that tested it and approved it;)

*Please note: this is mainly a sacrastic lie

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    Dammit Tallaght, you're part of the conspiracy too!!!!!!11111111!!! He's being given the safe form of the vaccine, the rest of us will get the mercury laden cancer causing paralysis inducing vaccine*....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's a fair point. I got them to take the bird flu, HIV and gulf war syndrome out of mine before they gave it t me, but I'm not sure if they'll be offering that service to the general public :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Swine flu vaccine?

Jim Corr is gona get ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

out of interest Tallaght01, was there any dihydrogen monoxide in your vaccine?

It's feckin' deadly stuff, google it and you'll see...:P

Malty_T wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seriously, I do not know how any can be so reluctant to take it, when you consider the front line medical folk are going to be one of the first takers...you know, some of them happen to be the people that tested it and approved it;)

*Please note: this is mainly a sacrastic lie

ITS NOT MERCURY ITS SMALL ROBOTS!

lizardslizardslizards *rocks back and forth*

aaand back on a real note ... Personally I dont know if I should bother getting it or not. I am a reasonably healthy individual. I would probably prefer a natural resistance after getting it than a vaccine.
    Although I am changing my tune somewhat when I hear how long it takes you out of work. I couldnt face two weeks of being at home bored.

scanlant wrote: »

Dude, you're in the game. You know better than to let people know about the dihydrogen monoxide.

Seriously, though, there is some DHMO in the vaccine that I got. It's one vaccine component I haven't done much research on, so I'm hoping I'll be OK. But we do have some posters who are good at unearthing conspiracies, so maybe they could find something about it's dangers and post it here.

I've heard it's the monoxide it that does the brain damage, but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    ITS NOT MERCURY ITS SMALL ROBOTS!

lizardslizardslizards *rocks back and forth*

aaand back on a real note ... Personally I dont know if I should bother getting it or not. I am a reasonably healthy individual. I would probably prefer a natural resistance after getting it than a vaccine.
    Although I am changing my tune somewhat when I hear how long it takes you out of work. I couldnt face two weeks of being at home bored.
    It's up to you whether you get it, but vaccines are designed to protect the community, as opposed to the individual.

It's up to you whether you get it, but vaccines are designed to protect the community, as opposed to the individual.

Point taken.

scanlant wrote: »

Very dangerous if inhaled in large quantities and is a major component of many pharmaceuticals.

DrIndy wrote: »
    Very dangerous if inhaled in large quantities and is a major component of many pharmaceuticals.

Nah. I am a hard man me. I practically bathe in the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Glad to hear you're ok. But did you get the vaccine with or without the adjuvants?(i.e. squalene)

samson09 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're ok. But did you get the vaccine with or without the adjuvants?(i.e. squalene)

I don't know if there was squalene or adjuvants in my vaccine. Wouldn't bother me if there was. But I'm deleting your post in 24 hours and you'll get a ban if you don't provide a GOOD link to show there's going to be squalene in the Irish vaccine, because you make people nervous with this kind of thing.

I got a bit of nausea today. Didn't go home from work or anything. Lasted about 4 hours. Fine now though. But we were saying major GI side effects of the actual virus, and now we're seeing some nausea after the vaccine. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

I don't know if there was squalene or adjuvants in my vaccine. Wouldn't bother me if there was. But I'm deleting your post in 24 hours and you'll get a ban if you don't provide a GOOD link to show there's going to be squalene in the Irish vaccine, because you make people nervous with this kind of thing.

I got a bit of nausea today. Didn't go home from work or anything. Lasted about 4 hours. Fine now though. But we were saying major GI side effects of the actual virus, and now we're seeing some nausea after the vaccine. Interesting.

I only asked a question, I never even mentioned Ireland or anything good/bad about adjuvants. But delete away, no skin off my nose. I already provided you with information about the Irish vaccine, or at least one of them (Pandemrix). But here it is again anyway.

http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/pandemrix/emea-combined-h832en.pdf

Active Ingredient:
    Purified antigen fractions of inactivated split virion
    A/Vietnam/1194/2004 NIBRG-14 (H5N1) 3.75 μg HA (mock-up virus)
    (NB – this will be switched to A/California/7/2009 (H1N1) v-like strain (X-179A) for the current pandemic vaccine)

Adjuvant:
    Squalene 10.68 mg
    Alpha-tocopherol 11.86 mg
    Polysorbate 80 4.86 mg
    Other Ingredients:
    Octoxynol 10
    Sodium chloride
    Disodium phosphate
    Potassium dihydrogen phosphate
    Potassium chloride
    Magnesium chloride
    Thiomersal (5μg per dose)
    Water for injections

Thanks for posting that.

But you asked that question for a reason, and now that the vaccination programme is about to start, we'll be having a zero tolerance attitude towards your vaccination scaremongering. If you have decent evidence fr anything, then it's very welcome. But the usual weblinks etc that you post won't be tolerated.

But you're heading in the right direction posting a reputable link there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

One of the things about the Anti-Vaccine bull**** that I hate is the "AUTISM, OH NO, WAAAAAAAH". This is because I have Aspergers, which is like Autism... the point is, that an Autistic kid is better then a dead one in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Just a question but you are doing pubic health arent you (freudian) do they not have their own clinics

At a time when seasonal flu and H1N1 are doing the rounds is it wise to have lots of people coming and going from hospitals who dont need to be there

Institute for healthcare improvement in US have come up with some excellent forward flow documentation on altering the normal ED flow patterns during H1N1 to minimise staff and patient cross contamination

• Advertisement

Yea, but they're satellite clinics, which are strategically places for ease of access. We set them up, as part of our mass vaccination function. But our CDC is not that convenient for people to get to. So, we have vaccine clinics in lots of locations, including the local hospitals.

We did try to engage ED in some opportunistic vaccination, but they baulked at the idea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

cypharius wrote: »
    One of the things about the Anti-Vaccine bull**** that I hate is the "AUTISM, OH NO, WAAAAAAAH". This is because I have Aspergers, which is like Autism... the point is, that an Autistic kid is better then a dead one in my book.

Tallaght, glad you are OK after the vaccine. Just waiting here for an appointment to see our doc about getting a vaccine for our child with severe asthma. Good to read some positives. Thank you.

Cypharius, I spoke to someone who should know far better, yesterday, who claimed their child had developed dyspraxia as a result of getting the MMR!! Can I say eejit here??? Goodness knows what may materialise from the H1N1 vaccine :D:D:D:D;)

And yes, our same darling who has the asthma is being assessed for Aspergers and no he didn't get it from the MMR. I'm fairly convinced, if he does have it, that it was from his great grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Yea, but they're satellite clinics, which are strategically places for ease of access. We set them up, as part of our mass vaccination function. But our CDC is not that convenient for people to get to. So, we have vaccine clinics in lots of locations, including the local hospitals.

We did try to engage ED in some opportunistic vaccination, but they baulked at the idea :P

I wonder though what percentage of people turning up will be current carriers

In US it wasnt such much a high temp presentation as a gastro thing for a lot of people who proved sample positive

This a policy of encouraging people to congregate in clinical settings for mass vaccination program against a currently circulating disease might not be a wise policy

Regarding ED,what I mentioned was for changes in practice and throughput when H1N1 really kicks off, hospitals in US have had a sustained increase of 15-20% in attendance's for 4 weeks now which is starting to trip some alarm bells

Regarding vaccinations in ED/Hospital opportunistically I agree with you there are volumes of patients attending who may not be seeing general practitioner at this time and thus could benefit from same, it would be nice if the DOH directed some of the funding that way as my understanding is if the hospitals decide to do that they would not be funded on the dame basis as GPS are for the vaccinations

Yea, people shouldn't be encourages to go to clinical areas for their vaccines.

The model is for a community based approach. But the GP surgeries have, in reality, been best served to provide the service, so they've taken on a lot of the work. So have the council clinics.

The hospital clinics are away from the main clinical areas. Or they're supposed to be.

The EDs are supposed to set up flu clinics too, to see sick people with ILI. But so far here they've been outdoors in the cold, with no proper monitoring, and inappropriate triaging. The model in the pandemic plan is for a much better service than is actually being provided.

The money men obviously haven't read our plan :P

i got my vaccine - apart from paralysis of my right arm - i'm ok ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hate to break it to ye lads, but the ol' autism means ye dont have insight anymore. indy, in the nicest possible way, you're not ok. :D
    and tallaght, well, words fail me, tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of such troubles between you and your life partner!

Ok, doesn't look like I'll be getting the vaccine now cause myself, my wife and our 3 year old kid all got H1N1. Luckily not too bad, I'm the only one on Tamiflu but that's more of a precaution against pneumonia due to medical history than anything else.

So far, no weird reactions to the meds and H1N1 for myself and the kid was nasty (I hit 39.5 and him 39.0 temp wise whenever there was a gap in the ibuprofin/paracetamol "coverage") but manageable enough and nothing that'd put either of us in hospital or anything. Herself being pregnant luckily got a milder dose of it but it's harder for her to deal with given her condition. I managed to get a chest infection on top of the flu which is annoying me more tbh.

Did you get a test to confirm the swine flu? We recommend (in oz) that people who think they've had it, but have not been tested, get the vaccine anyway. Though you should follow Irish guidelines and advice obviously.

Hope your family are OK. Don't let your missus be a hero, if she still has it. Make sure she has a low threshold for seeking medical advice. Though most pregnant women are fine, that group have run into some problems with this vaccine.

• Advertisement

Did you get a test to confirm the swine flu? We recommend (in oz) that people who think they've had it, but have not been tested, get the vaccine anyway. Though you should follow Irish guidelines and advice obviously.

Hope your family are OK. Don't let your missus be a hero, if she still has it. Make sure she has a low threshold for seeking medical advice. Though most pregnant women are fine, that group have run into some problems with this vaccine.

I've tested positive, both of them got sick at the same time with similar symptoms so it's likely they've got it too but they've been swabbed and samples sent off so we'll know for sure on Monday or Tuesday. All 3 of us went to get checked out today by our GP after my results came back positive. I was only given Tamiflu after the test came back positive for various reasons and we've a prescription for both my wife and son incase their symptoms worsen (at the moment, despite the high temp my son is in very good form and not complaining of any aches and pains etc as well as his temp being kept in line with paracetamol/ibuprofin most of the time and my wife feels fairly miserable but isn't registering any temp above 36-37 and doesn't have any "severe" symptoms, honestly you'd think she had a bad cold if I hadn't tested positive).

Advertisement