Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy trainers, is it common

Options
  • 05-10-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

Just met my brother down the main street and he's been talking to some lad who loves MMA, the lad told him he's doing it in Rush and my brother said thats my brothers club etc.. Then the lad said no that he does it in a different part of Rush, then went on to say they do no ground work or clinch etc and dont compete..

Its 1 thing lads teaching MMA badly but this is beyond the joke-totally ruining MMA for lads who genuinely want to learn it and doing it in a small area where there is already a club running, Cowboys, do any other coaches have similar experiences? and what can be done about it realistically!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

cowzerp wrote: »
    Just met my brother down the main street and he's been talking to some lad who loves MMA, the lad told him he's doing it in Rush and my brother said thats my brothers club etc.. Then the lad said no that he does it in a different part of Rush, then went on to say they do no ground work or clinch etc and dont compete..

Its 1 thing lads teaching MMA badly but this is beyond the joke-totally ruining MMA for lads who genuinely want to learn it and doing it in a small area where there is already a club running, Cowboys, do any other coaches have similar experiences? and what can be done about it realistically!
    It does happen a bit and I'd imagine it is going to be become more and more common. Other than showing ones disdain for such jokers I’m not sure what can be done. I think the guys that really want to learn will figure out that the cowboys are just that and leave for a real club. The guys that want to hit pads, wear tapout tshirts and say they do cage fighting will probably stay.

Actually, that doesn’t sound like too bad an arrangement if it worked out like that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

cowzerp wrote: »

Do they charge money in the club or are they just a training group/bunch of lads set up who may not have known of your club?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Dancor wrote: »
    Do they charge money in the club or are they just a training group/bunch of lads set up who may not have known of your club?

Yeah they do charge, but wheter or not they know about my club they still should not be claiming to teach MMA when they dont, i've been talking to a few people and they reckon its Japanese Ju Jitsu, No mats or nothing!

Maybe he lad got the wrong end of the stick but he's obviously been mislead as to what he's practising.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Invite them to fight at your show.

It's funny how many people out there want to criticise or act as experts but don't put their chips on the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Why not pop down to their club and check it out? If you head down for a class and think the trainings not up to scratch just politely invite a few of them up to yours if think their serious about their training.

At the very least you'll get to see what their instructors about, if you think their dodge than www.bullshido.org is a good place to 'out' them. I dont usually use bullshido a lot, but its probably not a bad idea to get as many (independent) reviews of Irish clubs up there as possible. They are a bit tougher than boards when it comes to legal threats (theres already one 'club who cannot be mentioned' here :rolleyes:) so you can be a bit more open with your critisisms.

Cowboys (n gals) will become more widespread as the sport grows, its natural progression. We're not quite at saturation point in Ireland yet, but I'd imagine most Tae Kwon Do\Kickboxing\Kung Fu\Karate clubs will most likely start incorporating MMA somewhat in their business model\marketing strategy over the next year or two if their not already.

Some will try to be serious in their efforts others will treat it as a cash cow. The ones that are serious will improve in time, (and fair play to them), the others will remain crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I used to train a few of them. We would do some simple lasooing and then follow it up with some box jumps to help them to get on their horse faster.

I only read subject lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I always wondered why they called u Roper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I have met a few guys who train places like this. Nice guys one and all, usually from a kickboxing/self defence background, who want to be able to say they do mma without having to do the ground work. After yeras of doing a standup, there striking is quite good, but they dont want to have to learn grappling from scratch.

That being the case there is no need to do anything aabout it,as they have no interest in learning mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

its a sham these clubs popping up... i used to train with a semi contact kickboxing club in naas a few years back and the instructer, seeing the popularity of mma, had the 'bright' idea to advertise his Kickboxing classes as mma! needless to say a lot of newbs were pretty sceptical, walking into see a 'mma instructer' wearing a dragon adorned ninja suit!! aswell as that the class became a hazard as the instructer, who will remain nameless, had no concept of safe grappling e.g. everything was yanked at..., he preached 'tap or snap'.., 100% intesity in all sparring. It was a pure disaster! not to mention he refered to every submission (more so 'holds' as the bulk were prob made up) as 'snake lock'

this is only one example of the cowboy instructers who are sharking idealistic teens and mma enthusiasts money!

and for 12 euro a class....

sharks... :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anders09

Any comments on Kenpo Karate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Anders09 wrote: »
    Any comments on Kenpo Karate?

Chuck Liddel an Elvis seemed to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭cletus

da-bres, i just pm'd you

Advertisement