Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSG Complete Series Blu Ray

Options
  • 05-10-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭

Getting through the box set fairly slowly (way too many time-sinks at the moment), and it appears as if the blu ray box set is just the American (aka Region A) one just with the BBFC and IFCO symbols printed on the disks. It's not an uncommon practice with blu rays (quite a lot of my collection was sourced locally, has the BBFC and IFCO symbols, but has an FBI piracy warning rather than a "you wouldn't steal a car"...

Anyway, main points:

FBI Anti-Piracy Warning
    US Title music in season one, rather than the UK theme (which is used in season 2 onwards for both)
    No "In association with SKY" splash page at the end.

Also the blu ray boxset has an 18's BBFC rating (apparently for some season 3 extras which I haven't gotten to yet) while the DVD boxset only has a 15's.

Just wondering if anyone who has gotten the Complete DVD box set can confirm (or deny) whether it's a direct US port or not.

BTW, the difference between the US and UK themes in season one:

US theme:

UK Theme:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well I got the FBI warning on mine but that didn't really surprise me as it IS an American TV show.
    British Dvd's have their version on theirs too here in Ireland.

As for the markings...
    The markings on the box do not indicate what region the box set if for.
    Prob' deliberately left off it so that the tins despite what country they are in, can be shipped anywhere and used.
    As for the DVD's themselves, they have the appropriate region indicators for the country they are destined for (and the F.A.C.T. Symbol).
    See example below - one of mine scanned in.

154hyeg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sorry, I assume we are talking about UK/Euro boxset here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

noodler wrote: »
    Sorry, I assume we are talking about UK/Euro boxset here?
    Well I got my boxset from Amazon.co.uk.

Biggins wrote: »
    Well I got my boxset from Amazon.co.uk.

Cool, just checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Mine was from play. The disks do have all the necessary icons for Region B (ie BBFC, IFCO, FACT etc), but the image itself is almost definitely a Region A image (the FBI warning instead of a FACT warning, despite the rpesence of the FACT icon on the printed side of the disk).

I was just trying to see if the DVD boxset had the same characteristics - I doubt it, as there were already Region 2 DVD boxsets, but was curious...

• Advertisement

I am dieing to buy this.

The only thing holding me back is the lack of a dolby digital setup.

Can anyone recommend a surround sound option that won't break the bank?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's the best price/play to get this?

Have season 1 on HD DVD but might go for the others.

kearnsr wrote: »
    What's the best price/play to get this?

Have season 1 on HD DVD but might go for the others.

Amazon is your only option I think, maybe HMV?

Alot of the Jersey places won't ship it here.

Don't think you can buy them individually if you were planning to buy 2, 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

well its E146.99 on play
    http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/9732597/-/Product.html?add=9732597

and amazon is saying E138.76 shipped to ireland
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Complete-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B0027UY8B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1255860670&sr=8-1-spell

im pretty surprised that its so cheap, i thought seeing as its HD that it would be E250 for 4 seasons of a pretty good sci-fi show,

i dont have a HD player but im think of getting a blu-ray drive for my pc, and making this my first boxset

don ramo wrote: »
    well its E146.99 on play
    http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/9732597/-/Product.html?add=9732597

and amazon is saying E138.76 shipped to ireland
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Complete-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B0027UY8B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1255860670&sr=8-1-spell

im pretty surprised that its so cheap, i thought seeing as its HD that it would be E250 for 4 seasons of a pretty good sci-fi show,

i dont have a HD player but im think of getting a blu-ray drive for my pc, and making this my first boxset

Sorry, I wasn't inlcuding Play becasue of their mad exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Sorry, I wasn't inlcuding Play becasue of their mad exchange rate.
    its insane most times alright, i always find it best to shop around:),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Badboy1977

I was tempted to buy box set DVD but read some reviews in which the reviewers said Box set has no extra stuff-Web episodes were missing from it
    Here is review. I need advice:

Received my box set in the post today and was very disappointed with the lack of Special Features. Gone are the extended episodes, Webisodes, the majority of the Commentary tracks are missing and no extended version of the movie Razor. All of these are contained on the American version of the complete series (except the Season 4 Webisodes which are missing from both versions) and the Blueray editions.

It is a big shame that for the same price the UK version is missing the majority of the features especially as a good number of them were even advertised as being contained within this box set.

This is a very good TV show and I will recommend it, I just can't recommend this box set as it is incomplete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

jebus i would return the box set if that was the case

what a load of crap.

Anyone know if the us one includes those 25 mins of deleted scenes about adama and Tigh between the wars and before they rejoined the fleet?

to be honnest i am going to have to buy that box set because i do like bsg but im really waititng for the next box set that has everything including the plan and hopefully the next bsg movie *fingers crossed*

User45701 wrote: »
    jebus i would return the box set if that was the case

what a load of crap.

Anyone know if the us one includes those 25 mins of deleted scenes about adama and Tigh between the wars and before they rejoined the fleet?

to be honnest i am going to have to buy that box set because i do like bsg but im really waititng for the next box set that has everything including the plan and hopefully the next bsg movie *fingers crossed*

Im going to hold off. They have slashed the price but eventually Im sure they will have everything included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

This guy says both are region free, US gets a little Cylon guy.

Badboy1977 wrote: »
    I was tempted to buy box set DVD but read some reviews in which the reviewers said Box set has no extra stuff-Web episodes were missing from it
    Here is review. I need advice:

Received my box set in the post today and was very disappointed with the lack of Special Features. Gone are the extended episodes, Webisodes, the majority of the Commentary tracks are missing and no extended version of the movie Razor. All of these are contained on the American version of the complete series (except the Season 4 Webisodes which are missing from both versions) and the Blueray editions.

It is a big shame that for the same price the UK version is missing the majority of the features especially as a good number of them were even advertised as being contained within this box set.

This is a very good TV show and I will recommend it, I just can't recommend this box set as it is incomplete

Goes against everything else I have read to be honest.

Thats blue-ray. I dont have a blue-ray so the DVD is still short of web episodes if Im not mistaken??

Badboy1977 wrote: »
    Thats blue-ray. I dont have a blue-ray so the DVD is still short of web episodes if Im not mistaken??

None of them have the face of the enemy and none of them have the plan since it wasn't out at the time and still isn't out over here.

Why you'd cry over a couple of crap webisodes is beyond me. The Plan is good but Id rather buy it for 15e in a year to dd to my collection

EDIT: Just find a reputible review for the dvd version.

None of them have the face of the enemy and none of them have the plan since it wasn't out at the time and still isn't out over here.

Why you'd cry over a couple of crap webisodes is beyond me. The Plan is good but Id rather buy it for 15e in a year to dd to my collection

EDIT: Just find a reputible review for the dvd version.

Go to Amazon.UK..Co and look up reviews. You are prob right about a missing few episodes but I still might hold off until they have them in.

• Advertisement

You appear to be correct if Amazon is anything to go by.

Looks like the DVD version won't have any of the webisodes whilst the BR will at least have the Resistance ones.

I already have them on DVD so will be happy to make the upgrade to HD with a ton more features. I'd say you will be waiting a while to say the least. I mean Amzon says the DVD set isn't even out yet (thought it was).

By the way, the BR seasons are being released individually in March. I think I would prefer seperate boxes but the price per season looks a bit steep compared to buying the complete set.

Hope all the extras from the BR complete set make it to the individual sets.

So the individual seasons are allcoming to Blu-Ray AND the Blu Ray packing in the States and here (UK) have been changed for the complete sets.

The US set now includes the Plan but the new UK set does not by all accounts which is a bit gay to say the least.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Complete-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B0027UY8B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266799088&sr=1-1#productPromotions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭alexindublin

Handy Tip: I got the bluray boxset and the Plan around xmas and the Plan fits nicely into the BSG tin :-)

I had seasons 1 to 4 on DVD but between the picture quality and amount of extras on the bluray, the bluray wins hands down. (and it looks great among all my 2 for €30 blurays.lol)

Handy Tip: I got the bluray boxset and the Plan around xmas and the Plan fits nicely into the BSG tin :-)

I had seasons 1 to 4 on DVD but between the picture quality and amount of extras on the bluray, the bluray wins hands down. (and it looks great among all my 2 for €30 blurays.lol)

The tin is gone!

Aww, I knew I should have bought the tin while it was in stock - I never believed the limited edition line but now I will have to buy the updated cardboard set which still doesn't include the plan.

GHEY!

This might cause a bit of a stampede, but i was in HMV yesterday and they have a bluray bos set in the tin. Frakkin' 180 odd kubits though !!

There's also a limited edition tinned Caprica DVD coming out on 26th of this month (not 100% on the date)

And a tinned The Plan due out soon aswell.

I'll be able to built my own lil shanty town by the time i'm finished buying all these bluray tins. lol

Heres what the New bos set packaging looks like inside.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-movies-tv-programmes/942327-battlestar-galactica-blu-ray-17.html

Very happy with the way they have the individual BR releases like that even if its not a tin.

Confirmation, also, that the plan is not included as expected.

Advertisement