Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need for a representative body for taxpayers ?

Options
  • 05-10-2009 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I would like to suggest that we need a new national representative body which would represent the interests of Taxpayers. At the moment all the other groups in our country - unions, farmers, employers, small firms etc have powerful voices which the government listens to.
    But there is currently no representative body for taxpayers. And I think we definetly need one - esspecially if "social partnership" talks start again soon.
    I know as a taxpayer (who can't afford any more tax increases or new taxes) I would feel much more confident about my own future and that of the country if I had someone like Jack O'Connor going in to partnership talks to represent me and other taxpayers.
    I think a Taxpayers representative body would counter-balance the powerful effect of the unions who seeem to be opposed to any public service spending cuts (which in effect means the only alternative is tax rises). Then there could be a genuine negotiation , where as up to now, there has been no-body to say "hold on where is this money going to come from" when the government and the unions did all the benchmarking deals, and government committed us to all kinds of things without thinking it through as to what would happen if the tax revenue decreased.
    So if there is going to be a new national partnership agreement I think we need a voice at it.
    Would anyone out there be interested in trying to set up such an organisation ?

Comments

Advertisement