Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting Pulled Over

Options
  • 05-10-2009 2:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Is there any way to not get pulled over in Dublin? I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 8 days and searched. I drive a Mitsubishi Lancer GSR but I have never been over the limit when I was pulled. Never been in trouble with the garda and don't have a record. Never even been arrested. Is it just inevitable that driving cars like that in Dublin will get you pulled over? Does anyone else get pulled over as much?
    Two of those searches were in the space of ten minutes as well. I was asked all three times to produce my insurance cert at a garda station. Searched on the side of a main road both times with 4 of my mates with me who also had nothing on them or were doing anything wrong. It's not really fair. It wastes so much of my time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

did you recently buy the car? maybe the previous owner was "known" to the gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

It happens. You'll have to live with it. Not everyone with a modified car behaves themselves so expect the attention.

The best thing you can do is have all the paperwork at hand and when pulled over give them everything from insurance cert, NCT to import documentation.

They tend to leave you alone for some reason when you produce a a thick envelope full of documentation.

In general just enjoy the car and if you behave they will eventually leave you alone.

For what its worth my record was 3 times in 4 days but i dont look like a boy racer stereotype so they tend to be confused.

Also

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

:-D

Thanks for posting that video link. Brightened up my Monday morning no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

kleftangel wrote: »
    Is there any way to not get pulled over in Dublin? I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 8 days and searched. I drive a Mitsubishi Lancer GSR but I have never been over the limit when I was pulled. Never been in trouble with the garda and don't have a record. Never even been arrested. Is it just inevitable that driving cars like that in Dublin will get you pulled over? Does anyone else get pulled over as much?
    Two of those searches were in the space of ten minutes as well. I was asked all three times to produce my insurance cert at a garda station. Searched on the side of a main road both times with 4 of my mates with me who also had nothing on them or were doing anything wrong. It's not really fair. It wastes so much of my time.

You should have asked if there's something wrong or something you can do about it, especially if your ride is newly bought.
    Not to be aggressive, just ask the Garda when stopped next time. It could save your precious time and time of the Gardai too...

Oh, 5 lads squeezed in a Lancer, hmmm, could that be the reason, kinda dodgey looking types? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

does the car have a bodykit, tinted windows, loud exhaust? a standard gsr wouldn't really stick out to the gardai I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You should ask in your local Garda Station if your car is flagged for some reason.

Although you say you had four mates with you, were you driving around late at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

draffodx wrote: »
    does the car have a bodykit, tinted windows, loud exhaust? a standard gsr wouldn't really stick out to the gardai I'd imagine

Do you get any hassle at all? I haven't got any.....maybe if my teg was white it would be different though!

Bryn wrote: »
    Do you get any hassle at all? I haven't got any.....maybe if my teg was white it would be different though!

Not a bit, the round headlights help as well I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Bryn wrote: »

My teg is championship white and jap and i havent been pulled out of it!

Op, my advice would be to go to the local station and ask is there some reason behind it, if not use the freedom of information act to request all the information on the computer about the car.

The guards have to provide you with all the information except if it gives away someone who may have reported you, or is in the middle of being investigated as part of a crime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

Not dodgy but "known". It was the middle of the day and it does have a body kit and is quite loud. It aint a standard Lancer. It's a GSR 1.8 Mivec + Turbo. The person I bought it off didn't seem dodgy in any way but you never can tell I guess. When I go in, I'm gonna jus say I've been pulled over 3 times. What can I do to not get pulled over? They'll love that.

Great video by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Maybe just unlucky, or the car looks really... attractive ;)

remember in one big meet of modified cars, during night, a convoy approached a checkpoint. they havent even looked at me in mazda mx5, thye just showed me to drive by, but the civic Type-r behind me got raped!

Wolfs in sheep clothing FTW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dundalk-Dragger

kleftangel wrote: »
    What can I do to not get pulled over? They'll love that.

If you would like a lecture on the new exhaust noise regulations ask them that question :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

its either of 3 things
    1 your just unlucky
    2 known dodgey car
    3 acting the maggot

I drive an SiR civic with a fairly loud 5zigen with subtle rear kit and spoiler and i can say ive never in my life been pulled over (well once in the netherlands but that doesnt count :D) and i do alot of driving both in city center and built up areas. In fairness i nearly allways take it handy with the 5zigen as i know how loud it gets and i know how annoying stupid loud exhausts are to people

Heres mine at full tilt :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LNTb78fORY

projectgtr wrote: »
    In fairness i nearly allways take it handy with the 5zigen as i know how loud it gets and i know how annoying stupid loud exhausts are to people

Thats exactly it there, people complain about how there exhausts are noisy and the gardai are targeting because of this but even the nosiest exhaust can be driven quietly when required.

Its the idiots that drive through built up areas trying to make as much noise as possible that cause a bad name......ah I was going somewhere deep with this but ya know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

draffodx wrote: »
    Its the idiots that drive through built up areas trying to make as much noise as possible that cause a bad name...

It's always down to the driving that people exhibit. And yes, the "boy racers" are exactly known for just trying to break every rule, show off and make noise. About the only thing they can, because there isn't a engine to do anything with :)

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 breno58

its just inevitable that your gonna get pull over driving a car like that but theres not much you can do about it, i do get a lot of attention when i drive my wrx but when im in my micra its like im invisible lol

breno58 wrote: »
    its just inevitable that your gonna get pull over driving a car like that but theres not much you can do about it, i do get a lot of attention when i drive my wrx but when im in my micra its like im invisible lol

I drive an Integra Type R and have never been pulled over, so its no inevitable that you will be pulled over, as others have said it depends on how much attention you attract to yourself with noise and bad driving

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I've only ever been pulled over once when I was driving a Micra! Never in the Integra.

But I never have 4 lads in the car with me. Its gonna happen having 4 lads in a GSR unfortunately

Advertisement