Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afraid to have kids??

Options
  • 05-10-2009 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭

Met up with an old school friend of mine today, the usual, few beers and a chat. He is goin out with a girl for a few years, things have got serious and they are going to get married and have kids, well she wants to. He is terrified of having kids because apparently they can "see" things that we cant! spirits etc.

He says he has never seen and doesnt believe in ghosts but he still gets really really freaked out by the idea of them.

He was told a story by a guy he works with.....

... the guy he works with told him that his kid from the age of 4-6 had been going around the house pointing in the air and laughing/talking to nothing, as all kids do. Parents though nothing of it for a long time, but the kid always refered to "the man". One day the mother was going through the house tiding etc, when the kid picks up a photo and said "theres the man that comes to talk to me sometimes", the mother takes the photo off the kid, turns out it was the fathers father who had died about 3 years before the kid was even born.

This story has freaked him out so much because he has nephews and nieces who when they were young, also used to point/laugh/talk to the air when there was nothing there. He genuinely is terrified to have kids of his own because of this.

Anyone come across this? I kinda laughed it off with him because I havnet a clue what to be saying to him, and I dont want to just call him daft!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

that sounds like the worst ever excuse not to have kids. oh im afraid they'll go all sixth sense on me! what a dope! if hes lucky to have a child then its a miracle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

maybe when he said spirits he ment alcohol :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Interesting thought. Perhaps it's the child's imagination running wild?

I wouldn't let something like that discourage me from having children though. In the event that children did see spirits and that spirits were real, I'd embrace that shit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I agree that this would be a terrible excuse not to have kids, but I doubt thats what he was getting at. I think its more that WHEN he has kids, that everytime the kid looks in the air or something, he will freak out.

What im trying to find out is, has anyone else come across this or heard this from someone else? I know kids have great imaginations etc, but the kid in question never met who he apparently saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Come across this a lot. Thought it was a pretty common belief, that children can see things like that up until a certain age.

A friend of mine lost her next door neighbour to a longterm illness a few years ago. We'll call him Dan. Anyway Dan's niece lived in the same house and towards the end of his illness he had to use an oxygen mask all day and the niece, who was 4 at the time, was scared by it. Anyway, a few weeks after he died the little girl was up in the bathroom and her mam heard her laughing. She went up to check what mischief she'd gotten into and she was staring at the corner of the room giggling. Her mam asked her what she was laughing at and she said "Uncle Dan. He's making faces, he's not scary anymore."

The family like to think that Uncle Dan came back to give his niece that memory of him and not one of fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Apparently I used to point up to the sun and say there's granny...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

What is wrong with grown-ups , why they can't see ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

stepdoyle wrote: »
    that sounds like the worst ever excuse not to have kids. oh im afraid they'll go all sixth sense on me! what a dope! if hes lucky to have a child then its a miracle!

Not quite the heplful advice the OP was going for there squire! Maybe you should apply for a job as a PI mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

espinolman wrote: »
    What is wrong with grown-ups , why they can't see ?
    From a very young age your gradully being conditioned to by your surroundings/enviroment and the people around you, most often your parents but also school. As you get older, after being told hundreds of times that ghosts don't exist you start to accept it as fact. Kind of like when your young and your told that fire will burn you and it will hurt, you can't really grasp that as a child but when your grown up it registers as fire equals pain, same way when your older you think ghosts equal not real based on your condition from childhood of being told that they don't exist or that its silly to being in ghosts. It can also stem from a need or want to 'fit into' your social group and not wanting to be singled out or laughed at so you just accept what your told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

benwavner wrote: »
    Met up with an old school friend of mine today, the usual, few beers and a chat. He is goin out with a girl for a few years, things have got serious and they are going to get married and have kids, well she wants to. He is terrified of having kids because apparently they can "see" things that we cant! spirits etc.

He says he has never seen and doesnt believe in ghosts but he still gets really really freaked out by the idea of them.

He was told a story by a guy he works with.....

... the guy he works with told him that his kid from the age of 4-6 had been going around the house pointing in the air and laughing/talking to nothing, as all kids do. Parents though nothing of it for a long time, but the kid always refered to "the man". One day the mother was going through the house tiding etc, when the kid picks up a photo and said "theres the man that comes to talk to me sometimes", the mother takes the photo off the kid, turns out it was the fathers father who had died about 3 years before the kid was even born.

This story has freaked him out so much because he has nephews and nieces who when they were young, also used to point/laugh/talk to the air when there was nothing there. He genuinely is terrified to have kids of his own because of this.

Anyone come across this? I kinda laughed it off with him because I havnet a clue what to be saying to him, and I dont want to just call him daft!

damn that man must be some kind of evil genius .where was he 14 years ago when i needed excuses :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

paranormal wrote: »
    damn that man must be some kind of evil genius .where was he 14 years ago when i needed excuses :eek:

Ha nice one............I must use this one myself!!

"sorry love, no kids for me....we've got ghosts"

Advertisement