Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabinet Re-shuffle?

Options
  • 04-10-2009 11:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

There is a rumor going around politics.ie that certain ministers were seen clearing out their desks.

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/109407-rumourmill-government-ministers-clearing-their-desks.html

At first this was thought of as a snap GE but then the topic switched to a cabinet reshuffle which seems much more likely. Cowen for the first time has some wind in his sails so why not?
    Also the greens need to be kept on side as they are beginning this week their negotiations for a new program for government.

I suppose we will see in the coming days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Perhaps

My guess?
    Martin for a promotion perhaps (tanaiste?)
    Coughlin to be demoted (she'll still be a minister but not a very public one)
    Lenihan and ahern to keep their places
    Harney should go (no real place for an independant) but no one to replace her
    The greens to retain their ministers

Can Cowen sack O'Donaghue??? If so, i'd say the job will move across the room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What the hell use is a cabinet re-shuffle except for PR spin!
    "O' were trying to do something. Lets looks as if we're trying to do something!"
    Its the same crooks just moved around in the same bloody bag!

Never mind the time it takes for all those in the shuffle to be come acquainted with their new awarded offices!
    Jeeze, more time wasted!

...and don't mention Harney. She has vanished again from her desk and from the public eye.
    Its a disgrace that the media hasn't exposed her by now!
    Add to that, they won't let her go - she's holding onto a majority seat for them and right now for FF, every seat counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Biggins wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that the media hasn't exposed her by now!

Wasn't she standing beside Cowan on Saturday as he made a statement during/after the referendum results?

Come to think of it, I haven't heard much from the minister for health at all recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

bazkennedy wrote: »
    Can Cowen sack O'Donaghue??? If so, i'd say the job will move across the room

would be interesting for the job to be offered to the opposition. if i was cowen i'd do just that. the CC can't really influence anything but as a gesture it would work great from FF's perspective. plus the opposition would have a tough choice either accept it and look like they are being bribed or reject it and cowen can then pull out a speech about the opposition not willing to work with the government and thus letting party politics in front of 'ireland's economic future'

truly, if i was cowen, i'd offer that job to the opposition. it's a win win situation.

Trotter wrote: »
    ...Come to think of it, I haven't heard much from the minister for health at all recently.

Your not the only one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

In relation to Harney....is it more juicy than "she's a waster who is never in the office?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Rearrangement of the chairs on the titanic. Devoid of quality, who culd perform well in a ministerial capaicty.

The loss of Brennan, McCreevy, McDowell from available candidates is a big loss. McCreevy's biggest mistake was that he didnt call a halt to wanton expenditure, this was proffered by Bertie. Thus,I dont consider him as big a failure as some people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Het-Field wrote: »
    McCreevy's biggest mistake was that he didnt call a halt to wanton expenditure, this was proffered by Bertie.
    Bertie is the one who started all the wanton expenditure the first place! No single human being is more responsible for the mess we find ourselves in today, and you can remember that when the hospitals are closed along with the schools in the coming union strikes. With all that said though anything that gets Coughlan off the stage can only be good.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    ...With all that said though anything that gets Coughlan off the stage can only be good.

She is now seen as the Irish version of Sarah Palin - not my words but the words of the Fine Gael's Leo Varadkar who has dubbed her "Ireland's Sarah Palin".. See HERE
    Blunder-prone Mary Coughlan is 'the gift that keeps on giving' for journalists, writes Conor McMorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

leave off our mary (coughlan), mind you i would have loved to have seen her face when the only place in the country voting no was her constituency.

yep i know she's useless

• Advertisement

leave off our mary (coughlan), mind you i would have loved to have seen her face when the only place in the country voting no was her constituency.

yep i know she's useless

To her credit, she was perhaps one of the first in a while from FF that might have been speaking more honestly - when she landed herself in controversy over her comments - that there were many aspects of a report of An Bord Snip Nua, that did not "make sense"!
    Pity she was silenced! See here.

Advertisement